Director of Strategic Planning
Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by Columbia Sportswear
Translating strategic objectives into an actionable strategic plan and corporate performance management program is a core function of this position. You'll own facilitation and management of the strategic initiative management program, providing a portfolio level view of projects to drive critical resource allocation decisions. You'll also own development of broader performance management programs to support transparency and accountability for results.
The successful candidate will be highly adept at advancing a vision and roadmap for the future of the Strategic Planning function at CSC. You'll clearly articulate the value of various functional activities and collaborate with a cross-functional leadership team to build consensus and engagement while enabling an actionable plan. You'll develop internal consulting relationships to support strong planning and execution of strategic priorities and projects across the business.
This position reports directly to our Vice President of Strategic and Financial Planning, and is accountable to the broader executive leadership team as sponsors of CSC's strategic planning program.
Corporate Strategy Development and Long Range Planning
- Manage the Strategic Planning Process for Columbia Sportswear Company, including organization, content development and facilitation for strategic planning process and executive planning sessions. Partner with leadership team to identify key strategic issues and themes to inform content and discussions throughout the process.
- Partner with cross-functional teams in the development of a cascading business strategy, facilitating the development and ongoing update of corporate objectives, aligned with strategies for brands, regions, and corporate functions.
- Build process, templates and tools to ensure delivery of clearly articulated business strategy and objectives and consistency of outcomes across the company.
- Partner with the VP of Strategic & Financial Planning as well as the Director of Corporate Finance to drive continuity between strategic planning and financial planning processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to enhance the analysis and inputs used in the strategic planning process to outline opportunities and challenges and frame strategic choices.
Strategic Planning Support across Business Functions
- Support the development of strategies across the company, actively partnering with brand, region / channel, or functional leadership as well as Financial Planning & Analysis team.
- Act as an internal consultant, leveraging strategic and business acumen to challenge and influence throughout development of business cases and strategic plans. Directly engage and support planning and execution of key strategic projects. Support strategic analysis, frame business objectives and define performance metrics.
- Actively enable the ongoing development of strategic planning capabilities across the company through delivery of subject matter expertise, best practices and tools.
Corporate Performance Management Program Development and Leadership
- Manage the Strategic Initiative Management program to facilitate prioritization and decision making regarding strategic investment of Columbia Sportswear Company resources to drive growth.
- Execute all Initiative Management program processes including facilitation of discussions with the Initiative Management Committee to finalize disposition of new initiative proposals, definition of initiative deliverables, and performance measurement against project objectives.
- Drive progress against comprehensive business performance management program to measure performance against strategic objectives for Columbia Sportswear Company. Partner with leadership and cross-functional partners to define performance indicators, establish measurement criteria, and create reporting tools.
- Establish and facilitate regular meetings to monitor progress against strategic objectives with Executive Leadership team.
Strategic Planning Best Practices, Communications & Business Alignment
- Advance the vision and roadmap for the Strategic Planning function at CSC, working in partnership with the VP of Strategic & Financial Planning and other leadership team members to maximize the value of core processes and additional value add activities.
- Lead best practice thinking and continuous improvement of strategic planning capabilities through direct ownership of strategic planning activities and in collaboration with other functions.
- Ensure the cascading of strategic planning content throughout the organization. Partner with leadership to ensure connectivity to performance goals and objectives.
- Support communications of strategic plan throughout the organization to enable appropriate engagement with stakeholders (development of materials for the Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team, participation in development of strategic communications).
- Bachelor's degree required
- MBA or advanced degree in relevant discipline strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years' total experience in corporate strategic planning, corporate development, business development, management consulting, finance or related fields. Previous management consulting experience at a top tier consulting firm is highly preferred.
- Possesses superior business and financial acumen and ability to effectively support and influence executive-level decision making
- Adept cross-functional leader, able to navigate a complex organization to develop consensus and drive results
- Flexible approach and entrepreneurial mindset, a "builder", comfortable with bringing clarity to ambiguity
- Focused on execution, effectively balances near term deliverables with long term priorities
- Demonstrated ability to complete quantitative and qualitative analysis and financial models
- Advanced problem solving skills with the ability to identify potential and/or existing issues, evaluate available options and recommend corrective action
- Thorough knowledge of strategic planning concepts, frameworks and best practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including presentation delivery
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Possess the agility to engage at the senior executive level, translate abstract concepts into defined objectives
- Able to develop strong working relationships across functions within the company, acting as a trusted business partner and advisor to the leadership team
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age