Portfolio and Partnerships Senior Consultant
Posted on Aug 1, 2022 by Lewis Davey
Portfolio and Partnerships Senior Consultant
The company are an international consultancy and project developer, helping businesses and organisations to meet the demands of the Paris Agreement. As a trusted advisor and partner to our clients, we simplify the challenges associated with sustainability, remove complexity, empower individuals and teams, and deploy bespoke solutions integrated into entire value chains.
They exist to embed climate action as a global driver of commercial performance, delivering economic, social and environmental value.
About the role
Working within a Nature Based Solutions unit, the Portfolio and Partnerships Senior Consultant will be responsible for enriching the portfolio of innovative carbon offsetting projects. The role will focus on identifying carbon offsetting investment opportunities or any future nature-based asset, looking for investment through strategic partnerships and sourcing carbon credits from project developers, for clients. These projects will be internationally sourced, working with local partners all over the world, both historical partners and new project developers to discuss availability, quality level and price of the environmental projects and assets proposed. With the support of the wider team, this role will assist business development teams on commercial offers, preparation or marketing and communication materials.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables:
• To understand the carbon markets and the challenges / opportunities for the business;
• To set up or reinforce strategic partnerships with project developers/owners/market stakeholders with a view to enriching our portfolio and securing long-term access to carbon offsetting projects;
• To identify, develop and manage the carbon credits & investment-ready portfolio (sourcing) with the team;
• To closely manage relationships with project owners and develop a network of suppliers;
• To negotiate price with project developers to align with client's objectives;
• To undertake and oversee initial and regular due diligence assessments on desk (risk assessment) and on site (site visit), followed by regular updates;
• To collect, centralise and store project information, price ranges, vintages, contacts, contracts (MoU, Term Sheets, Cooperation agreements, VERPAs, etc);
• To actively support sales and business development to close deals for customers (contribute to tenders, offers, customer visits and presentation, customized solutions etc.);
• To supervise the work of junior P&P team members and provide support to help their development where necessary;
• To develop and support communication and marketing materials to staff and clients.
Working under the supervision of the Northern Europe NBS Manager, the Senior Consultant will be required to work closely with all members of the team, both Advisory and Business Development, to achieve Company objectives. External relationships are a key part of the role, with a requirement to liaise with project teams, clients, overseas offices, and representatives from partner organisations and to reinforce links with new and long-term strategic partners.
Professional Background and Experience
The ideal candidate will have significant post-graduate experience of working within carbon and sustainability services specifically first-hand experience in carbon markets and carbon offsetting.
Expertise on some of the following areas and a willingness to learn others is required:
• Experience of working with project developers, sourcing projects, buying and/or selling carbon credits;
• Experience of conducting project due diligence and taking projects to market;
• Degree level or equivalent qualification with a specialisation in sustainable development or climate policy preferred but not essential;
• International work experience is a plus.
• Strong commercial skills and comfort with supporting the delivery and management of large business deals, including the ability to coordinate responses to proposals, sell and deliver to new and existing clients;
• Experience of working in a consultative manner to understand client needs and guide them to a solution, preferably demonstrated through client consulting engagements in the private sector;
• Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to manage complex project deliveries across multiple simultaneous client engagements;
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to speak and present information with confidence in front of an audience, lead and influence client workshops and represent the business at industry events;
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to produce well 1 presented, error-free results;
• Experience and success in contributing to building teams and business lines in a commercial and profitable way including staff resource planning/skills and monitoring utilisation levels to manage optimum project staffing;
• Strong leadership and management skills and a team player with high personal and professional standards, who can mentor and motivate more junior staff;
• Additional languages such as French or Spanish would be welcome.
The role will be based in the UK with a flexible blend of home and office working. The successful applicant will be required to travel to and from the London head office as required for business purposes and when necessary to travel internationally to visit and perform audits and due diligence on newly identified projects.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and benefits package includes a performance-based annual bonus, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, life insurance, professional subscriptions, personal carbon offsetting, as well a great working environment.
The company offers a great opportunity for your personal development and career advancement. Working with our dedicated team, you will continue to develop your skills and expertise, starting with our in-depth induction programme, through to ongoing technical training and an extensive range of learning and development opportunities through our training platform MyLearn.
Company culture is of great importance to us and is something that every member of the business helps to create. Our colleague led initiative, which represents the three pillars of colleagues, community and environment, runs numerous activities including, "Veggie lunches", volunteering and fund-raising opportunities, wellbeing activities, plastic reduction and energy saving initiatives, social events and sports teams.
Employee well-being is a key priority for us and we recognise the importance of work-life balance and how the business can be supportive of individual needs. If working from home, working part-time or flexible start and finish times will help with this, please let us know as part of your application.
Type of Employment