Healthcare Research Associate - Graduate scheme
Posted on Dec 14, 2018 by GLG
The EMEA Financial Services team, based in London, serves users at the leading financial institutions in the EMEA region, including some of the world's largest Private Equity funds, Hedge funds, Mutual and Sovereign Funds. Our state-of-the-art office space in London is located in One Fitzroy Place, in the heart of one of the most vibrant neighbourhoods in London, Fitzrovia.
Research teams are the engine of GLG. We work across industries, becoming the experts on our experts, helping our clients find the insight they need from leading doctors, academics, scientists, policy specialists, strategists, executives and other professionals with years of on-the-ground experience. Through our understanding and alignment with our client's investment strategies and knowledge of the key industry themes, we work to develop creative learning solutions - from phone consultations and one-on-one meetings to surveys, roundtables, reports, and site tours. We also welcome our experts and other guest speakers to teach us what they know about the most relevant healthcare topics - because our learning mission helps us to work as a thought partner and strengthen our existing client relationships as well as establish partnerships with new client firms.
GLG is seeking new and recent post-graduates to join our Healthcare Research Associate Program in London, who have a strong interest in excelling at best-in-class client service in a fast growth, and team-oriented environment. Start date will be April 2019.
After completing an initial training period, Healthcare Associates spend the first half of the associate program recruiting and introducing new experts into GLG's global membership allowing them to develop a comprehensive knowledge of healthcare accounts and client servicing strategies. Through recruiting exposure across the full range of client accounts, associates also start to develop their healthcare content knowledge and learn about the key themes impacting our users.
Healthcare Associates are promoted to Senior Research Associates after achieving specific quantitative and qualitative goals. Senior Associates take on direct client facing responsibilities and are tasked on servicing select healthcare accounts end-to-end. During this period, the focus is on developing their client facing skillset including account servicing, relationship building and utilization of GLG product and content levers which can impact account growth.
Senior Associates can rapidly progress to a Research Manager role with responsibility for a book of business and starting to directly manage junior professionals. From there, there is a clear path to Team Leadership, building the skillets for full commercial, operational and talent responsibility for a portfolio of business and team members.
Healthcare Research Associate Responsibilities Include:
- Recruiting new experts to join our global membership through targeted and timely outreach.
- Interacting with GLG's experts on a daily basis to understand their capabilities, quickly build up knowledge about specific client requests and key industry themes.
- Supporting healthcare team members on all aspects of client engagement for exposure to all healthcare accounts and GLG product mix through shadowing on client intake calls and client servicing.
- Developing a thorough understanding of the compliance framework specific to GLG and our Equities client base including undertaking daily procedures to protect the integrity of client engagements. Specialist training is provided on healthcare compliance with increasing in complexity for the more tenured healthcare roles.
- Developing relationships with healthcare thought leaders across the world, including: leading physicians, researchers and senior executives
- Building a comprehensive knowledge of the healthcare and investment sector, including key industry themes across pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare services, medical devices, diagnostics, hospitals and health system sectors. This is achieved both through the day to day project work and through joining a growing number of our in-person roundtable events with clients on thematic healthcare content
- Towards end of tenure, learning basic client-facing skills.
Senior Healthcare Research Associate responsibilities include:
- Executing custom learning projects for clients end-to-end
- Engaging with clients daily by phone to understand and serve their learning needs and provide exceptional service
- Continuing to recruit new experts to join our membership through targeted and timely outreach by phone, email, and other methods
- Maintaining accountability and responsibility for client projects and the overall client experience
- Collaborating with our Business Development team to grow revenue and ensure retention on existing accounts
- Begin to program thematic healthcare events for clients (e.g. roundtables, teleconferences, medical conference meetings, in-person visits, etc) and start building the fundamental skillsets and competencies to host such events
- Mentoring new graduates by sharing best practices
As a Healthcare Research Associate, you will learn skills such as:
- Fast, "on the spot" problem solving by researching new and key healthcare industry topics that are top of mind in the investment community
- Advanced executive communication (oral and written) by engaging senior executives and thought leaders from day one
- Towards end of tenure, client facing skills through understanding the learning needs of our clients to deploy a broad range of custom products
- Understanding the commercial priorities of healthcare accounts and effective collaboration with colleagues on and across teams to develop superior time management skills
GLG seeks graduate applicants with a post-graduate qualification (PhD) in a medical or life sciences subject, who also have a minimum 2.1 (or equivalent) Bachelors (BSc) or Master's (MSc) degree from a top-tier university. Candidates can join GLG before their viva date if they have finalised and submitted their doctoral thesis.
Candidates with an undergraduate degree (BSc or MSc) in a medical or life sciences subject and at least 12 months experience in a healthcare consultancy or healthcare investment research role, are also welcome to apply for the role.
We look for individuals who are passionate about our mission to transform how professionals learn and who embody GLG's values: learning and curiosity, responsibility, courage, judgment, fresh perspective, service, and integrity.
The following requirements will strengthen your application:
- Core interest in the healthcare sector and a desire to learn how investors make
decisions in this market;
- Strong problem-solving skills and desire to learn about new topics;
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills, including demonstrated oral and written abilities;
- Demonstrated commitment and attention to detail;
- Passion for client service, especially with experience in phone-based and in person professional communication;
- Ability to build and manage relationships across the full professional spectrum including senior colleagues and extremely senior outside professionals;
- Strong desire to work in a collaborative environment;
- Demonstrated ability and initiative to handle increasing responsibility and autonomy over time;
- Fluency in one or more European language is preferred but not a requirement
Rule Recruitment Ltd