Manager of Telecommunications
Posted on Jul 28, 2022 by West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET)
West Virginia Network (WVNET) is seeking to hire a new Manager of Telecommunications with salary range of 80,000 - $90,000 (commensurate with experience), this position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications or related field and + 6 years of telecommunications and management experience.
The Manager of Telecommunications will maintain and advance WVNET's statewide network topology and external connectivity to OARnet, 3ROX, Internet2, and other RENs. The manager will lead and mentor Telecommunications staff in delivering reliable, affordable high-speed connectivity to our customers. The manager conducts network strategic planning, supports and maintains all network and telecommunications systems of Internet gateways, works with Internet service providers, and provides emergency network support, as needed.
West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) connects K-12 schools, higher educational institutions, libraries, state and county government, and various not-for-profits to the Internet and the rest of the world through our state-of-the-art network and telecommunications expertise. Our team of dedicated IT professionals provide guidance and training to educators and staff in higher education and K-12 schools. Our research and development of software, tools, and systems address problems and tackle challenges that are unique to West Virginia's public institutions and not-for-profits.
Work Location: Charleston, Morgantown, or remote office in West Virginia
Classification: Salary, Non-Classified, Full-Time Benefits, FLSA Exempt
Salary: Starting annual salary range is $80,000 - $90,000. Additionally, WVNET offers an excellent state government benefits package, including comprehensive health insurance coverage, retirement investing, and life insurance plans, as well as, generous amounts of vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
Education/Training: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications or related field.
- Required - 6 years of progressively responsible experience in data communications, networking, or closely-related field.
- Required - 6 years of experience with complex communications protocols and transmission methods
*DETAILS OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE MUST BE SHOWN IN YOUR RESUME*
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Support and maintain all network and telecommunications systems, including:
- All Internet gateways and all technical dealings with Internet service providers
- WVNET redundant connectivity to the Internet
- Reliable connectivity to all WV public higher education institutions and to HEPC
- Reliable connectivity to the K12 network and all county school systems
- Maintain all network addresses and domain names for WVNET
- When needed, configure WVNET LANs and WANs to support network connectivity
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate records of networking changes.
- Maintain awareness of current communications systems and trends
- Develop and revise WVNET policies and procedures as required.
- Write specifications for hardware and software to expand WVNETs external network.
- Installation, configuration, and upgrading of new networking equipment.
Provide effective team management:
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the Telecommunications staff to deliver reliable and affordable high-speed connectivity to meet the evolving needs of our customers.
- Expand skills knowledge and expertise of staff through training, education, and task assignments.
- Facilitate regular team meetings and complete weekly report.
- Evaluate the fiscal needs of the Telecommunications Department; prepare, manage, and administer the operational budget, as well as the special program budgets; identify needs and work across the department to fund important professional development-related initiatives.
- Evaluate and fully implement technologies that provide state-of-the art network and connectivity access for WVNET customers.
Perform management and administrative duties:
- Complete performance reviews of direct reports as required and ensure direct reports complete theirs in a timely manner.
- Interview and approve applicants as needed. Provide orientation and training to new personnel as needed.
- Perform administrative details related to the job, eg, approve purchases and leave, review system status reports and user consulting logs, review the problem management system, review weekly progress reviews, counsel and appraisal of subordinates, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Conduct network strategic planning
- Anticipate increased bandwidth requirements
- Develop new technologies into revenue opportunities
- Position WVNET to continue to provide in-demand technology for existing and new customers
Provide emergency network support, as needed
- Work with host site and remote site help desks to resolve networking problems.
- Be on call to respond to network emergencies 24/7.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities (KSAs)
- Thorough knowledge of TCP/IP, LAN, WAN, and wireless protocols.
- Thorough knowledge of building telecommunications wiring/cabling systems.
- Demonstrated ability to think logically and to supervise others in problem troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated skill to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, on complex technical issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and creatively solve technical problems.
- Experience in mentoring staff, creating effective teams, and ensuring accountability of actions
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive environment for members of WVNET's staff
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding a person's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. WVNET provides a collegial, respectful, and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity, and contributions of its staff.