Vice President of Hardware Engineering
Posted on Dec 16, 2018 by SUMMIT PARTNERS
The employer is a leading provider of next-generation broadband distributed and virtualized architectures in mobile, fixed telecom and cable networks.
- Build the hardware engineering team and participate in all aspects of recruiting, mentoring, performance management and training.
- Apply technical leadership, excellence in people management and commitment to the highest standards of program execution to operate successfully within a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary team.
- Identify new hardware capabilities, innovations, and technologies. Propose initiatives to implement new capabilities and lead, monitor and evaluate their success.
- Spearhead the hardware engineering team in enhancing current design methodology across architecture, design, RTL, synthesis, verification and lab validation.
- Plan, organize and direct the hardware engineering design and development activities of the corporation including hardware architecture, digital circuit design, RF circuit design, FPGA/Chip design for cable, optical and wireless radio applications.
- Establish credibility and influence with executive leadership and peers across the organization using clear, concise and authoritative written and oral communications. Collaborate effectively across departments, fostering a culture of trust, openness and accountability.
- Monitor progress on a variety of projects to ensure fulfillment of product and scheduling objectives. Anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Coordinate design, development and improvement of products in conformance with established programs and objectives.
- Direct personnel in formulating plans, designs, cost estimates and specifications.
- Participate in formulating and administering corporate policies and in developing long-range goals and objectives.
- Prepare reports on progress and recommends the addition, expansion or discontinuance of projects.
- Reviews, evaluates and approves engineering projects, technical proposals, methods and schedules.
- Accomplishes technical design objectives through lead engineering staff.
- Confers with other departments regarding feasibility, cost effectiveness and other aspects of product development and research.
- Acts as an advisor to subordinate staff members on complex technical problems.
- Ensures that department goals meet professional standards and corporate objectives and guidelines.
- Develops new applications and performance standards for products and processes.
- Lead the team in developing the architecture, definition, and design of challenging converged data, video & voice systems, requiring creativity and cross-functional innovation.
- Collaborate closely with platform software on creating robust systems built with high speed mixed signal logic.
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Science; graduate degree preferred.
- 10+ years of related experience leading teams of hardware engineers across multi-sites within fast-paced, collaborative work environments.
- Subject matter expert within one or more of the following areas: digital circuit design, RF circuit design and/or FPGA/Chip design.
- Experience with full product cycle from inception through end of life.
- Instinct for recognizing opportunities to invest in building the right thing for the long-term.
- Able to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines and to make progress with multiple projects and functional priorities simultaneously.
- Able to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information, when others are reluctant to disclose it.
- Able to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Able to develop and communicate goals in support of the business' mission by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Able to delegate responsibility and to work with others and coach them to develop their capabilities.
- Understands FPGA methodologies including: Verilog, Design Verification, backend floor planning, routing & clock placement.
- Possesses relevant experience in broadband CMTS, PON, ONT, wireless or networking systems.
- Demonstrated experience scaling and building highly technical hardware/product development teams; including attracting, developing and retaining top talent while providing mentorship and career advancing opportunities to managers and subordinates.
- Demonstrated listening and synthesizing skills.
- Develops, sponsors, or supports the introduction of new or improved hardware platforms across design, simulation and verification.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Understands and deals well with rapid development cycles, including supply chain operations and financial modeling.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and to re-prioritize as necessary to align with current business objectives.
- Detail oriented and thorough, with ability to think "big picture" and understand the key trends and levers that drive the business.
- Able to take calculated risks in the face of uncertainty.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma, SPC and/or ISO process controls.
Sunrise Systems Inc