Programme Support Officer - Change PMO
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Hays Specialist Recruitment Limited
Central Government. Inside IR35
An organisation that provides litigation and advisory services to government departments and other publicly funded bodies in England and Wales is looking to recruit a Programme Support to support a Change PMO. The postholder will be expected to maintain the standards for project management in adherence to those established by the Change PMO manager. This includes the implementation and sharing of best practice as well as the development and application of project procedures, tools and techniques in order to standardise methodologies and realise economies. You will be expected to provide expert guidance, support and insight on the project, and act as the source of all project information and metrics as well as enabling the smooth running of the project by supporting the Project/Delivery Manager through the operation of project management processes, and the co-ordination of business management actions and activities on their behalf.
Typical role responsibilities
- Planning and scheduling - Implement and maintain appropriate systems to enable effective planning and scheduling. Support the project in the delivery of BC benefits and outcomes. Champion the use of best practice project management standards and processes.
- Monitoring & Reporting - Establish and maintain project controls, keeping the Project/Delivery Manager aware of the project status. Prepare project performance/highlight reports, presenting statistics and researching new information.
- Admin - Ensure organisational tasks are carried out efficiently including Project Steering Group (PSG) administration, Records of Decisions and co-ordinating PSG slide pack completion.
- Resources - Management of staff as appropriate, including their development. Manage workforce planning, providing information for effective decision making to the Project/Delivery Manager.
- Stakeholder - Manage professional relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, and act as lead point of contact for some external parties. Draft and sign-off correspondence. Assist with maintaining the stakeholder log for internal and external stakeholders.
- Financial Control - Monitor project spend and contribute to the compilation of budgets and the development of the business case. Ensures an accurate asset register is maintained.
- Risks & Issues - Establish the project processes and standards for managing Risks and Issues Registers. Provide assurance to the Project/Delivery Manager on the effectiveness of Risk and Issue management arrangements.
- Governance & Assurance - Ensure appropriate governance is in place and support external reviews as required e.g. Gateway Reviews/GIAA/IPA/GDS Reviews at appropriate points in the project lifecycle. Monitor the effectiveness of controls and ensure that recommendations from external reviews are acted upon.
- Guidance & Support - Identify, develop and share best practice project management processes, tools and templates and benchmarks against industry standard. Provides direction and guidance to the project team.
What you'll need to succeed
Applicants are expected to have worked in a project/PMO environment in a project support capacity. A project management qualification is essential as well as experience working in the public sector. Those with recent central government experience will be favoured
What you'll get in return
This is a six-month temporary assignment, on-going until June 2019. The role falls in-scope of IR35, paying £250-300/day.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.