Environmental Test Technician
Posted on Dec 11, 2018 by Modis
Environmental Test Technician
Applicants MUST be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Purpose of the job
Currently looking for Environmental Test Technicians to be based on a customer site in Bedfordshire for a 6-12 month contract. This role will involve the vibration, shock, and environmental testing of high tech items.
This is a wide ranging role, working as part of a large team in a functional environmental test laboratory - a critical requirement is that the candidate has three years of experience of working in a similar environment with the wide range of tasks that accompany the environment.
The successful candidates will be able to set up, perform and record the results of the testing work, but also be able to do the more practical elements of the task involved in the day to day operation of the laboratory (this includes use of cranes/hoists etc). An appreciation of the type of environment, and the safety requirements involved in the operation of an environmental test lab is essential.
This role will involve working as part of a tight knit team, so the candidates will be expected to be great team players who are able to get on well with the team, and communicate well at all levels.
Due to the high workload, we are looking for candidates who are adaptable, and can offer solutions and suggestions to solve the day to day issues in the lab and can work with minimal supervision or in small teams.
- Able to work to provided Test Instructions, configuring and conducting a wide range of environmental tests using vibration, shock and climatic test facilities
- Applying technical knowledge in a range of Environmental test techniques in compliance with DEF STAN 00-35 and other relevant standards
- Environmental Instrumentation and measurement of products undergoing tests
- Maintaining accurate records of activities (test result recording and reporting)
- Writing test and assessment reports
- Liaison with the Project team on test requirements
- Definition and adaptation of vibration control strategies
- Conducting investigations into product behaviour and adaptation of tests accordingly
- Review and investigation of product issues relating to environmental inputs and recommending solutions
Mandatory skill set
- 3 years' experience+ in a working environmental test lab
- Working to Test Instructions, configuring and conducting, recording and reporting upon a wide range of environmental tests using vibration, shock and climatic test facilities
- DEF STAN 00-35/Mil-Std-810 experience
- LMS Vibration controllers (or equivalent experience)
- Proactive, can do attitude with ability to push tasks to completion
Desirable skill set:
Extensive experience of mechanical (vibration and shock) and climatic environmental testing, ideally within the Defence Sector, including:
- Understanding of the requirements of UKAS Accreditation to BS/EN/ISO 17025
- Operation of climatic chambers and equipment,
- Detailed knowledge of programming and using vibration test controllers/data acquisition systems (experience of LMS controllers/measurement systems would be ideal),
- Understand and develop vibration control strategies,
- Working knowledge of associated instrumentation and DEF STAN 00-35/Mil-Std-810 testing standards
Experience of conducting complex vibration tests (eg narrow band random on random or MIMO) would also be a benefit.
Minimum of three years' experience in a similar environment.
Modis International Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. Modis International Ltd UK is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Modis. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information