Tax Specialist III
Posted on Dec 16, 2018 by Columbia Sportswear
Here you'll be responsible for the preparation and review of tax filings and supporting documentation to substantiate filing positions. This will include the development of auditable working papers, performance of technical research, ad hoc analyses, accounting detail review and documentation and tax return preparation. Tax filings are comprised of sales and use, property and corporate and partnership income tax returns on federal, state and local levels. Within this role you will consult with internal tax and financial personnel, outside consultants and with government officials.
- Accurately prepare and review all required sales tax filings (multiple entities) and ensure filings are submitted by the stipulated deadlines.
- Ensure the Company's sales tax positions are accurately accounted for, including the preparation of tax accrual account reconciliations.
- Assist in the preparation of Federal and approximately 150 state and local income tax returns under varying filing methodologies, including consolidated/combined, separate, 80:20, and partnership.
- Review of property tax returns and preparation of monthly/quarterly entries.
- Perform state and local research with respect to sales tax rates and the taxability of specific items to ensure store openings run smoothly with respect to sales and use tax issues.
- Perform state income tax research to understand the treatment of state specific adjustments.
- Research, develop and document long-term tax planning strategies to minimize the overall cost to the company of various income and non-income based taxes.
- Perform sales and use tax self audits to ensure compliance.
- Manage and/or assist in the management of all state income tax, sales tax, etc. audits including responding to and compiling all information requested.
- Work with Credit department to ensure resale certificate files are up-to-date
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance/Accounting preferred.
- 3-5 years experience preparing state and local tax returns in a variety of states.
- Prior experience with tax research tools and tax software beneficial: RIA, BNA, OneSource.
- Prior ERP system experience, SAP preferred.
- Possess an understanding of tax issues and compliance requirements at the state and local levels.
- Exposure to tax research and planning in an automated tax compliance environment.
- Understanding of and exposure to standard auditing procedures.
- Public accounting experience is a plus.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age