Inline Innovation Sr Technical Developer
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Nike
The first spark of a product idea sets the Nike, Inc. Apparel Product Creation team into motion. The team of apparel developers, testers, engineers and designers strive for product excellence. They obsess over Nike's iconic silhouettes and create groundbreaking new styles. They collaborate, ideate and refine products' construction, fit and materials. They use cutting-edge advancements in technology and sustainable design to accelerate innovation. And they work lockstep with Merchandising, Design, Manufacturing and others to produce the final result: products that reflect the soul of sport and inspire athletes to reach new levels of performance.
As our Inline Innovation Senior Technical Developer, you'll utilize your advanced technical knowledge related to product fit, pattern and construction to provide leadership for large and complex projects. You'll manage projects utilizing a high degree of commercial expertise. You'll use your knowledge of the consumer, business, sports, and performance requirements to execute advanced product concepts against the requirements of athletes and sports consumers. You'll investigate the use of new technologies and or construction processes and will deliver proof of concept by turning new product visions into reality. You'll collaborate with the Designer and Project Manager to interpret and clarify each design concept. You'll also provide technical recommendations to design staff to create consistency of fit/construction and to help achieve design concepts and category initiatives. You'll also translate and/or communicate design concept to generate 2D patterns that incorporate proportional lines, fit requirements and construction feasibility. This opportunity also involves managing/leading fit sessions and working closely with the design team to understand the creative vision of the line for each project and translate design concepts into 3D product & 4D digital, inclusive of holistic developmental lend. You'll represent the Design team as needed in follow-up and decision-making related to aesthetics of assigned styles after each season's prototype review. Success at end of creation is providing inline categories with complete documentation and smooth transition of development, ensuring category's ability to adopt and commercialize.
- Bachelor's degree in Apparel Design, Textile Sciences or related field
- 5 years' pattern-making experience in the apparel industry
- Advanced knowledge of the apparel development process from
- inception through production, including but not limited to patternmaking, grading, construction, costing, manufacturing, embroidery, materials and machinery
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to act as a technical resource and mentor others
- Ability to write product specs and advanced construction instructions
- Ability to work with vendors to ensure and improve manufacturability
- Excellent problem-solving skills with an innate ability to deal with ambiguity, work autonomously and articulate a point of view.
- Demonstrate experience in ideation and research project work and
- Experience working with overseas factories to commercialize product
- Ability to problem solve and have an inventor's mindset
- Ability to interpret design intent and offer alternative solutions
- Ability to manage a high workload and multiple projects
- Adobe Illustrator ad CAD software highly desired
- Proficiency with MS Office programs
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time