Intern | Ag Operations, Full-time, Seasonal (Miller, SD)
Posted on Dec 14, 2018 by Wilbur-Ellis
Are you a college student majoring in Agriculture, Plant Science, Horticulture, or other related fields? Do you have knowledge and/or experience with Ag operations? Do you possess excellent leadership, multi-tasking, and communication skills? Can you work overtime as necessary? If you said yes to these questions, and you have good interpersonal skills, we'd like to hear from you!
For nearly a century, Wilbur-Ellis has experienced success and growth in marketing and distributing agricultural products and services. Join us and grow your career with a strong and profitable industry leader offering competitive compensation, tremendous growth and development opportunities, and a people-first work environment. Come grow with us!
General Purpose and Scope of Position:
Wilbur-Ellis is seeking an Agriculture Intern to be responsible for supporting operational needs at our Miller, SD location.
Key Skills and Abilities Include:
- College student majoring in Agriculture, Plant Science, Horticulture, or related field is preferred
- Knowledge and/or experience with agricultural operations (preferred)
- Intermediate level proficiency with standard software including MS Office Suite
- Ability to safely operate a company machinery within state laws and company policies and guidelines
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills between both customers and fellow employees
- Ability to repetitively bend, kneel and walk long distances while working in a non-climate controlled environment and outside in inclement weather
- Dependability/reliability. Occasionally may need to work Saturdays.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness and desire to work overtime hours during busy seasons
Specific Responsibilities and Key Deliverables Include:
- Run application equipment
- Drive truck
- Assist in fertilizer plant & seed treatment facility
- Complete the tasks and activities outlined by the Branch Manager and/or Mentor for the intern to include supporting branch operations and local customers including field scouting
- Conform to the normal working hours of the Wilbur-Ellis location, including overtime when requested
- Support the employer, keep the employer's business confidential, and work for the employer's best interest
- Comply with company safety standards and participate in inspections and safety training meetings
- DOT & facility compliance a must
- Submit a final project, PowerPoint presentation of the internship
- Basic agronomy knowledge
- Operational process and activity
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience and other factors
Wilbur-Ellis is a company you can be proud to call your employer
Wilbur-Ellis markets and distributes agricultural products, animal feed and specialty chemicals and food ingredients. A privately held and consistently profitable company, we employ more than 4,000 people throughout North America and Asia-Pacific.
Wilbur-Ellis is for and about people
Wilbur-Ellis has enjoyed over ninety-three years of success and growth, all thanks to our people. Our employees are both leaders and team players who thrive on creativity, entrepreneurial spirit and a dedication to quality work, our customers and each other.
Wilbur-Ellis invests in the industry's best workforce
Wilbur-Ellis invests heavily in our employees by offering skill development and training, competitive compensation and benefits and a tradition of promoting from within for a broad range of career opportunities. And we foster a supportive, people-first work environment.