Microbiologist 3 (DOH4335)
Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by Washington State Department of Health
The Microbiologist 3 is the lead microbiologist for the Antibiotic Resistance Laboratory Network (ARLN). This position is responsible for oversight of laboratories performing routine and advanced Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (AST) testing, limited mycology testing, and Neisseria Gonorrhoeae (GC) culture/(AST) testing. Additionally, the Microbiologist 3 is responsible for ensuring that all work complies with CAP accreditation and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Standards Institute (CLSI) standards. The Microbiologist 3 will perform training for staff within the unit, general quality control (QC) oversight under the section supervisor, and general laboratory testing as required.
This is a permanent full-time Microbiologist 3 position located at the Public Health Laboratories in Shoreline, WA .
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website , DOH Infographic , and see what it's like to !
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion . DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.)
- Perform initial training on all applicable methods for all staff working in the lab.
- Document & initial 6-month and annual competency for all applicable staff.
- Perform remedial training for staff when necessary.
- Ensure all documentation is compliant with institutional guidelines.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly, and batch QC are acceptable and properly documented.
- Review results for accuracy and release specimens to all appropriate stakeholders.
- Perform appropriate follow-up when QC errors are detected including root cause analysis to prevent future occurrences.
- Provide good customer service to all submitters and stakeholders.
- Develop subject matter expertise and work with lab staff to improve their understanding and job performance.
- Ensure equipment is calibrated, maintained, and in good working condition.
- Work with staff to understand and correct test/run failure.
- Work with Epidemiologists to appropriately track and report metrics of laboratory testing.
Example of a marketing note: The ideal candidate is a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
- OPTION 1: A Bachelor's degree with a major in microbiology or a major in another laboratory science provided that at least 20 semester or 30 quarter credit hours in microbiology are included; AND three (3) or more years of experience in a microbiology laboratory.
- OPTION 2: A Master's degree in Microbiology or closely allied fields; AND two (2) or more years of experience in a microbiology laboratory.
- OPTION 3: A Ph.D. in Microbiology or closely allied field; AND one (1) or more years of experience in a microbiology laboratory.
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Bacteria identification by both classical methods and molecular methods.
- Antimicrobial resistant testing.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and/or other molecular technologies.
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), College of American Pathologists (CAP), or International Organization for Standards (ISO) quality management systems.
- Training and overseeing the work of laboratory technical staff.
- Developing, evaluating, validating, and implementing new methods, procedures, and instrumentation.
- Reading, synthesizing, and presenting technical information clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Reviewing laboratory test results and quality control data.
- Experience with the following methods: automated and manual Microbroth dilution, Agar Dilution, E-test, Kirby Bauer disk diffusion.
- Experience in basic mycology yeast identification.
- Experience with assay validation and/or verification.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and motivating co-workers.
- Proficient in problem-solving, communication, customer service, interpersonal skills, cultural competency, achievement orientation, and team-oriented.
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Reference/ALRN laboratories, standing in one location for up to two (2) hours.
- Working on a microscope for up to two (2) hours.
- Typical Lab hazards include contact with bacterial pathogens and all hazards associated with handling human specimens (BBP).
- Willingness to occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and outside assigned core work hours including participation on the emergency response team.
- Be on a rotation of on-call 24 hours per day Monday through Sunday (rotation).
- Job-related conferences, meetings with stakeholders. 0-2 trips per year.
- Willingness to use appropriate PPE's including respiratory protection.
- Work with a variety of stakeholders including specimen submitters, local health officials, and state epidemiology staff.
- Must be willing to receive vaccinations due to potential exposure to certain agents within the laboratory.
- May require that the selected applicant be fitted for a respirator which will require that this individual pass a medical evaluation and training. Both the evaluation and training are provided by DOH.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Carlene Mealing-Baldwin at (see application details), (see application details) or TDD Relay at 1-(see application details) or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest , describing how you meet the specific required qualifications for this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references , to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
Note: Do not attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. Veterans , please feel free to attach a copy of your DD214.
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
More than Just a Paycheck!
Employee benefits are not just about the kind of services you get, they are also about how much you may have to pay out of pocket. Washington State offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation.
..... click apply for full job details