Temporary Park Operations Laborer I
Posted on Dec 17, 2018 by City Of Alexandria Virginia
Temporary Park Operations Laborer I
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Temporary Park Operations Laborer I position.
A Temporary Park Operations Laborer I performs general, unskilled, manual work of a routine nature tasks for Parks and Recreation Department. The duties outlined will require physical vigor and the ability to follow given specific work instructions. The Laborer I will be under constant supervision and will often assist Laborers II and III and Equipment Operators I in their various tasks. Many of these tasks will be time sensitive. Assignments are outlined in detail by a supervisor, standard procedures are followed, and work is inspected periodically for safety and economy of operation.
What You Should Bring
Physical and Environmental Conditions: Duties are generally performed citywide in both outdoor and indoor settings. This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of fifty (50) pounds of force occasionally, up to twenty (20) pounds of force frequently, and up to ten (10) pounds of force constantly to move, lift and push objects. Work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, pushing and pulling. This position is subject to outside environmental conditions, including extreme cold, extreme heat, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
- Perform routine ball field maintenance such as dragging, and marking fields, keeping dugouts clean. Clean restrooms and picnic shelters;
- Picks up litter, empties litter cans;
- Works in the shop area making minor repairs, stocking materials and cleaning equipment;
- Power washes litter cans, oil spills and graffiti on City right of ways;
- Shovels snow, rakes leaves, cuts grass, works hose on leaf truck, picks up bio-degradable bags;
- Operates small hand tools such as drills, saws, blowers, grinders, shop vacs, and weed eaters;
- Posts no parking signs in areas needing cleaned. Assists in cleaning around vehicles with sweeper operator;
- Pick up items such as white goods, tires, debris left abandoned on the streets;
- Constructs, installs and maintains park facilities e.g.;
- Provides special event support, community day clean ups;
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to promote vibrant, safe and attractive opportunities through the development of effective and efficient recreation programs, facilities and parks for all citizens and residents to enjoy. The City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.