Nurse Practitioner Supervisor, Opioid Treatment
Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by City Of Alexandria Virginia
Nurse Practitioner Supervisor
Opioid Treatment (Part-time)
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Nurse Practitioner Supervisor position.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
A Nurse Practitioner Supervisor plans and supervises the provision of nursing services to consumers of the Alexandria Opioid Treatment Program; provides supervision, guidance, and training to the program's Registered and Licensed Practical Nurses; coordinates and monitors care of patients with other City, community and state resources; provides direct care to patients with complex medical and mental health problems in OTP and ARTC programs, and provides back up for Medical Supervisor of OTP. An incumbent in this class acts as an information resource to staff regarding consumer medical problems and issues and provides liaison with community medical personnel to educate about substance abuse treatment potential and chemical dependency. Responsibilities include ensuring the maintenance of program / consumer records and compliance with all licensing agencies, Departmental, and City requirements. Also performs direct clinical services such as examinations, prescribing medications, ordering laboratory and diagnostic tests and assessments. Tasks are performed in coordination and cooperation with the Assistant Director, Clinical and Emergency Services, and the OTP Medical Supervisor.
What You Should Bring
Thorough knowledge of nursing and clinic policies and procedures; thorough knowledge of approved medical terminology and abbreviations; thorough knowledge of the function, use, maintenance, and safety precautions of all equipment used; ability to plan, supervise, and evaluate the performance of subordinate nurses; ability to verbalize information in such a manner that will stimulate, teach, and motivate assigned staff; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships between staff, hospital employees, administration, physicians, visitors, and clients; and the ability to ensure that clinic operations and nursing services comply with State and Federal regulations.
- Provides supervision and guidance to the program nurses;
- Interviews and assesses consumers upon admission to obtain medical, mental health and drug history;
- Performs all tasks of Registered Nurse including: medical assessment, medication, and venipuncture;
- Triages consumers to be seen by the Medical Supervisor and/or refers to hospital or other medical services as available, and as appropriate;
- Ensures the maintenance of program / consumer records and oversees documentation compliance;
- Monitors consumers on psychotropic medication for side effect reactions;
- Monitors medical status of consumers who are HIV infected, pregnant, and/or medically fragile;
- Provides nursing/medical perspective and recommendations for patient's plan of care as member of treatment team;
- Performs physical examinations and diagnostic procedures to assess the health status of clients who come to the clinic;
- Records physical findings, develops care plan, initiates treatment, formulates prognosis, prescribes medications according to regulation and practice agreement and manages a variety of acute health problems under the supervision of a licensed physician;
- Assesses need for mental health and/or substance abuse counseling and refer as indicated to on-site counselor;
- Makes referrals for acute/chronic problems to appropriate medical providers, track outcomes, and provide follow-up as needed;
- Provides preventive health education and behavior change counseling and phone consultations to clients;
- Reviews and documents quarterly patient progress in the electronic clinical record;
- Performs all related duties as assigned.
About the Department
The Center for Adult Services (CAS) provides programs and services in Aging; Adult Protective Services; Clinical & Emergency Services; and Community & Residential Support Services for seniors and for persons with mental illness, intellectual disabilities and substance use disorders. CAS provides compassionate and effective person-centered services based on best practices. Our teams support self-determination, safety and recovery for Alexandria residents affected by abuse, neglect, mental illness, intellectual disabilities and substance abuse disorders.
City Of Alexandria Virginia
One Stop Recruiting
City Of Alexandria Virginia
City Of Alexandria Virginia