Environmental Adviser (9 month FTC)
Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by HS2
9 Month FTC Opportunity, Westminster
As an Environmental Adviser - 2A at HS2, you will be responsible for delivery of environmental input in support of the successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2A of HS2 through Parliament. The role requires travel, primarily along the line of route, and remote working will be required to meet key stakeholders. The role also requires attendance at public engagement events outside normal working hours.
The Hybrid Bill Delivery Directorate is responsible for the production, introduction and successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2A of HS2 through Parliament in line with HS2 Ltd and Government objectives. Phase 2A of HS2 is the £3.8bn section of HS2 from the West Midlands to Crewe. The Technical team is responsible for providing the necessary specialist engineering and environmental support to the Directorate to support the promotion of the bill, and the Environmental Adviser - 2A is responsible for the provision of environmental support.
About the role:
- Deliver expert environmental input required to support the passage of the bill through Parliament, including the process of environmental impact assessment, production of Additional Provision Environment Statements and Supplementary Environment Statements.
- Identify and assess the key environmental issues and risks from petitions and develop and lead workstreams to address them, including by developing proposals for changes to the design of the project or by ensuring that an evidence base is created enabling HS2 Ltd is able to defend its position in Select Committee.
- Preparation of environmental advice, materials and documentation for petition management meetings and engagement events, including Select Committee exhibits and Q&As for lead witnesses.
- Attend meetings with petitioners to understand concerns and priorities and to identify solutions that deliver local benefits whilst being acceptable to HS2 Ltd and Government.
- Attend external engagement meetings and events, serving as an advocate of HS2 and promoting the benefits of the design and route, engaging with and influencing a variety of external stakeholders, such as MPs and local residents.
- Deputise for the Environmental Manager in their absence.
- Provide day to day environmental expertise and promote and advocate the environmental discipline within HS2 Ltd.
- Support the development and learning of the Environmental Assistant.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders.
- Planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
- Degree in a subject related to the environment.
- Member of a relevant environmental/built environment body (e.g. IEMA, RTPI, etc.).
- Knowledge of environmental technical disciplines.
- Knowledge and understanding of GIS.
- Knowledge of assessment processes, and UK and EU environmental legislation and regulations.
- Understanding of engineering and environmental interfaces.
- Understanding of undertaking public engagement and consultations.
- Experience of working in an environmental planning or engineering role within a large infrastructure project.
- Knowledge and experience of project/office related software. (Office, eB, Sharepoint, CRM, G-Viewer) or equivalent.
- Writing and preparing responses, reports and other documentation to be reviewed by peers.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK's new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain's major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others' health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 'Safe at Heart' programme principles and following safe working procedures.