Paralegal - Small Claims
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by DAC Beachcroft
The overall purpose of this role is to provide a timely, professional and high-quality service to clients in the management of litigated and pre-litigated property recovery matters.
The candidate will manage their own caseload (small claims litigated and mixed value pre-litigated) property recovery matters as well as providing supervision and support to a team of pre-litigation claims handlers). The candidate will also provide support to Associates and Partners in managing the team and undertaking business development.
• Manage a personal and team property recovery caseload under supervision. This will include developing knowledge of legal issues in respect of a variety of peril based recoveries as well as building an understanding of liability issues.
• Hit, maintain and apply a consistent approach to all individual and team targets of financial performance, utilisation, realisation rates, settlement rate and average claim spend.
• Act as a point of referral for technical queries and supervision from pre-litigation claims handlers.
• Assess liability and quantum and establish a strategy for each matter.
• Accessing and utilising direct access to client computer systems as well as those of other supply chain companies.
• Resolve claims through negotiation and/or litigation where necessary and within client service standards.
• Draft and issue court claim forms and particulars and handle Small Claims litigated matters through to trial or earlier settlement, under supervision.
• Ensure court directions are complied with at all times.
• Maintain ongoing contact with the client/insured and other key stakeholders throughout the litigation process by regular correspondence, reporting and updating of management information.
• Instruct experts and external counsel where appropriate.
• Play a key role in developing and maintaining client relationships.
• Ensure that the client's brand and methodology are promoted effectively in all dealings with third parties.
• Ensure that case management system and hard copy files are updated with diary dates as required.
• Assume responsibility for quality control and client protocol compliance, including accuracy and timeliness of record keeping, file management and management reporting and information.
• Ensure that the DAC Beachcroft brand and standards are maintained at all times.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols.
• Proven ability to effectively run a caseload and perform to a good standard in small claims paralegal, claims handling or insurance claims handler role is essential.
• Previous experience of civil litigation process is desirable.
• Experience within the field of property recovery litigation/insurance is desirable.
• Confident oral and written communication skills essential.
• IT literate with working knowledge of Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of case management systems would be an advantage but training will be provided. Good keyboard skills are also essential.
• Experience of training or supervising others in a small claims paralegal, claims handling, or insurance claims handler role is desirable.
• Client focused with an ability to build strong relationships with client and third party contacts at all levels.
• Able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities.
• Proactive with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems.
• Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail.
• Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with colleagues across locations is essential.
• Able to progress tasks using own initiative, seeking guidance and input from others where appropriate.
• Committed and enthusiastic with a professional attitude to work and a desire to commit long term to a career in this field.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Womble Bond Dickinson
Womble Bond Dickinson
Osborne Clarke LLP