Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by Anonymous
Facilities Technician - Basingstoke - £19000- £21000pa - Permanent
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we're one of the UK's leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don't know that we've been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life - companies you're more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
To perform a key role in assisting the Facilities Team Leader maintaining the buildings, site services at Basingstoke.Occasional duties may need to be performed at other Unum UK locations.
- To support the Facilities Team Leader on a daily basis in the effective running and maintenance of the building and its services including lighting, mechanical and electrical plant, heating, plumbing and ventilation, alarms, water monitoring; large equipment and leased machinery etc.
- To ensure the effective upkeep of the grounds including landscaping, mowing, weeding, hedge cutting, strimming, planting, etc.
- Upkeep and maintenance of walkways, car parks and delivery areas etc.
- To supervise and support external contractors on site.
- To assist in carrying out moves and relocations on site and meeting room set ups.
- To monitor Health and Safety compliance and conduct regular checks and tests on emergency and compliance equipment.
- To ensure the maintenance and safe operation of machinery, equipment and tools to support these areas of responsibility.
- To support the on-site Facilities team as reasonably required.
- To assist with Facilities tasks at other Unum sites as required.
- To provide on-call cover at evenings and weekends for the Dorking and Basingstoke sites on a roster basis.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum's information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of Governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
- Comply with Unum's Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
- Delivers Results
- Sets high goals for personal accomplishment and contribution to team/area goals;
- monitors progress and works diligently to meet/exceed goals.
- Develops Self
- Displays strong capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas & experiences and has keen self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Evaluates options by thinking both critically and holistically when considering relevant information and potential implications to both the team and company; chooses an effective option.
- Strong Business Acumen
- Displays strong understanding of own department and good general understanding of overall business objectives, evolving customer needs and technological solutions; applies continuous improvement practices to enhance business processes and results.
- Strong Teamwork
- Actively works collaboratively to help move the team toward the completion of team and business goals.
- Values Driven
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in a similar role or in a self-employed capacity.
- Demonstrate a relevant trade qualification/skill and the care and maintenance of tools of the trade.
- Have working knowledge and experience with grounds machinery.
- Have a good working knowledge of plumbing, general maintenance and electrical works.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to communicate well within a commercial office environment.
- Demonstrate a sound awareness of relevant Health & Safety legislation and guidelines.
- To be physically capable of manual work, moving furniture etc.
- Computer literacy in Email, word documents and basic level spreadsheets.
- Full UK driving licence.
- A relevant trade qualification.