Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Anonymous
Procurement Consultant - Dorking - Up to £55,000
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we're one of the UK's leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don't know that we've been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life - companies you're more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
To provide key support for: contract/supplier management; establishing best practice procurement disciplines; implementation of Supplier due diligence controls, Supplier Relationship Management system to ensure the professional and cost effective acquisition of indirect goods and services. Show leadership in the procurement deployment in Unum; act as Deputy to the Head of UK Procurement when necessary. Assume the role of Category Manager for Facilities related procurement direction.
- Provide procurement guidance & best practices to the Unum business in engagement of RFP bids to market, establishing teamwork of subject matter experts bought together to conduct market bids and new direction.
- Deliver best total value propositions to the business in support of savings goals, at acceptable managed risk.
- Be an ambassador for Procurement function as a professional expert service provider to the business. Involvement in working with all levels across the business including senior management.
- Liaise as necessary with Unum Global Procurement initiatives and personnel.
- To make presentations on procurement activity to the business where asked, in support of the Procurement Manager.
- Attend appropriate procurement / facilities industry events representing Unum.
- Engage in supplier site visits for potential and existing suppliers to assess supplier capabilities and suitability.
- Be a strategic thinker in procurement direction and risk management in support of the business.
- Provide procurement expertise to the business in the areas of Supplier risk and relationship management (SRM).
Operational Procurement Management
- Demonstrate professional purchasing capability including proficiency at identifying and managing best value suppliers for Unum.
- Act as centre of excellence for internal users to provide support for major supplier/service tenders and projects
- Support procurement activities as directed by the Procurement Manager.
- Support the delivery of Unum group savings.
- Have a customer-focussed support approach to dealings with the business areas.
- Provide specialist buying expertise including product identification and search; supporting data and cost analysis and assessment of customer requirements.
- Supplier contract management; timely renewal of contract provisions, supplier relationship management, supplier performance management.
- Be proactive, responsive, flexible, ethical and commercially astute in procurement business dealings on behalf of Unum.
- Identify cost improvements and demand reductions whilst ensuring a fit with agreed business objectives and policies.
- Contribute to strategic procurement activity through provision of support for major supplier/service tenders and projects
- Communicate complex information in a clear professional manner, effective to the level of recipient in the business. In particular, present business case information in support of contract signature by Executive.
- Maintain Savings Tracker documentation.
- Contract review in liaison with Legal department.
- Project Management during bidding, post bid as necessary and on special initiatives.
- Compliance with Unum policies, audit needs and regulatory requirements.
Category support for Facilities Purchasing
- Act as facilitator and Category Expert to support the Facilities team, in particular the internal relationship with key facilities personnel including Head of Property Services.
- Keep up to date with industry innovation & best practices in Facilities Category.
- Co-work with Facilities Manager on specific initiative in support for Category
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum's information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Embed and contribute to the Conduct Risk Framework, wider Solvency II systems of governance principles, Treating Customers Fairly requirements and the Risk Management Framework as it applies to the role and divisional activities and drive improvements as required.
- Comply with Unum's Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role and drive the behaviours of others.
- Delivers Results
- Sets high goals for self and team; ensures day to day activities of others are aligned to achieve team and area goals; uses effective measurements to monitor progress against those goals; holds individuals accountable for results.
- Builds Talent
- Takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet our aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Applies critical thinking to make good fact-based decisions with a sense of urgency after assessing potential business implications holistically; shows good judgment in options selected.
- Strong Business Acumen
- Applies broad business understanding of internal and external trends and financial considerations to leverage business process and technology opportunities, meet evolving customer needs, and ensure successful implementation of unit/area plans.
- Engages Employees in Implementing the Vision
- Inspires individuals toward higher levels of performance; fosters commitment to organization's mission; ensures that others understand their role in achieving area and business priorities.
- Values Driven
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics; demonstrates strong support of our communities.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Be trained and have experience in procurement, with Member Charter Institute Purchasing & Supply (MCIPS) qualification, or in the process of obtaining same.
- Knowledge of contract and commercial law
- Able to understand budgetary procedure and process and impact on business.
- Understand basic financial information on supplier financials eg DNBi reports.
- Computer literacy to a level which allows presentation of pertinent data in a succinct and understandable format, including a good working knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing, email systems i.e. Excel, Outlook and Internet/Intranet systems.
- Experience of operating Supplier Relationship and Risk Management systems is an advantage.
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.