Liquidity Funding Controller Analyst
Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Global Funding Control (GFC) group employs >60 finance professionals in Glasgow, as part of a Global team of >150 (across New York, London, Mumbai, Tokyo & Hong Kong). The collective team are responsible for controlling and providing business support for the funding arms of the Firm and is part of the ISG Finance organization.
Pre 2008 crisis, funding was easy to obtain and not priced into trades due to ample liquidity in the markets. Post 2008, the landscape looks dramatically different where the economy and regulators have put a spotlight onto Funding and Liquidity making GFC both a high focus and growth area.
The Glasgow GFC team comprises of the following sub-group & the role creates the opportunity for significant exposure across the function.
- Bank Resource Management (BRM) control - Secured Funding
- Treasury Capital Markets (TCM) control - Unsecured Funding
- Liquidity & Funding Controllers (LFC) - Regulatory & Management Liquidity reporting & control
Liquidity and Funding Controllers are responsible for preparing, calculating, reviewing and filing the liquidity reporting returns required by the Federal Reserve and Prudential Regulation Authority. The group is also responsible for supporting and developing the processes and systems to enable the firm to meet regulators requirements and support the Firm's strategic initiatives.
An Analyst-level opportunity has arisen within the LFC Regulatory Reporting team. The Regulatory Reporting team provide analytical review and control over the data sourced into the firm's regulatory liquidity reports before submission to the Firm's Regulators.
Primary clients are Corporate Treasury & Bank Resource Management who jointly manage the Liquidity & Funding needs of the business. In this role you will also interact closely with Legal Entity Controllers (LEC), Management Reporting team, Global Product Controllers (GPC) and IT.
We have an opportunity within our regulatory liquidity reporting team for an enthusiastic individual to join the team producing detailed liquidity reporting required daily by the Bank's regulators.
- Preparing sections of Daily liquidity reporting suite
- Performing robust analysis of movements and other key business drivers
- Building a good understanding of the technical rules & guidance underpinning the report
- Developing a strong working relationship with key stakeholders across the business, including Corporate Treasury and various Business Units
- Working with the wider LFC teams (across our other locations) to ensure that reporting is properly linked to our control framework and also there is consistency between our key reports
- Producing regular performance reporting and key metrics to demonstrate compliance with procedures and to identify potential areas of inefficiency / risk
- Timely issue resolution and escalation of issues
This is not an exhaustive list of tasks, and responsibilities may change in line with the team and business needs.
The successful candidate will display the following attributes:
- Candidates should be have relevant degree or equivalent experience
- Candidates should have strong written communication and editorial skills
- Analytical thinker, meticulous work style and ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Willingness to take initiative to develop and improve processes
- Adept at working in a fast-paced, high-energy level environment
- Able to build good relationships with stakeholders in multiple locations
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-CL3
Red The Consultancy (Europe) Ltd