Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Ascension
We Are Hiring
Medical Technologist - General Lab Anc 001 - PRN,Rotating - St Agnes Hospital-Baltimore MD - Baltimore,MD
Work Schedule: Varies
Why Join Ascension?
For more than 150 years, Saint Agnes Hospital, part of Ascension, has been dedicated to the art of healing by providing exceptional care to the greater Baltimore area. Built on a strong foundation of excellent medical care and compassion, Saint Agnes and the physicians who practice here are committed to providing the best care for our patients for many years to come.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with St. Agnes Healthcare-MD, you will have the opportunity to
Medical Technologist, performs laboratory testing of patient specimens in one or more sections of the laboratory.
- Performs diagnostic/analytic testing of specimens. Interprets, documents and reports test results.
- Performs quality control testing, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Verifies analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods.
- Serves as a resource to staff as needed.
- Evaluates test orders and associated specimens for validity during pre-analytical phase of laboratory testing. Performs all required functions of the analytical phase in laboratory testing in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding of clinical significance of laboratory values by responding appropriately to derived values during the post-analytical phase of laboratory testing.
- Checks electronic mail at the start of each scheduled shift for critical updates. Documents concerns, complaints, instrument downtime, patient ID errors, failure to follow policy/procedure, LIS downtime, QC issues, and other nonconforming events through use of the occurrence reporting system. Assists with training of employees, students, and provides technical support to coworkers when possible. Orients and trains new employees/students when assigned. Participates in training for new methodologies. Completes and submits training related documentation. May serve as a Charge technologist.
- Participates in the quality improvement activities of the department. Assures compliance with quality control/function requirements. Participates in proficiency testing programs. Maintains compliance with safety standards, and accreditation requirements. Assures the quality of laboratory services provided to customers and that laboratory standards are maintained in compliance with accreditation/licensure requirement. Maintains knowledge base of College of American Pathologists and The Joint Commission requirements and adheres to the regulations. Practices and contributes to culture of inspection readiness.
- Completes requested or assigned duties within time frame allotted, to include but not limited to, procedure development and correlation studies. Notifies supervisor or leads of progress and potential delays. Maintains a clean and safe work area; stocked appropriately for next shift. Remains accountable to lab policies, such as on call coverage. Maximizes use of hospital resources. Attends scheduled departmental meetings during work hours as directed by supervisory personnel.
What You Will Need
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Certified Medical Technologist (ASCP) credentialed from the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).
Education and Work Experience:
- Some College - 1 Year
- Required at date: Education: 60 semester hours of medical technology courses or 24 semester hours of science courses (6 hours in chemistry, 6 hours in biology, and 12 hours in any combination of chemistry, biology, or medical technology Official transcript required prior to start date Armed Services: Minimum 50-week Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Specialist course also qualifies
- Required: Clinical experience as a component of program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or two years of experience in a clinical laboratory setting.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Western Reserve Hospital
Western Reserve Hospital