Criminal Investigator (Special Agent)
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Immigration and Customs Enforcement
View Common Definitions of terms found in this announcement.
**Organizational Location:** This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, SAC Sacramento, California.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
Learn more about this agency
* As a Criminal Investigator (Special Agent) you will perform the following duties:
* Serves as a Special Agent (SA) for interagency, multi-jurisdictional, international, or inter-organizational inquiries and investigations.
* Conducts investigations of trade, travel, finance, and immigration for combatting illicit activities associated with individuals, businesses, employers, criminal organizations or criminal conspiracies, and cyber systems and networks.
* Utilizes intelligence, investigative techniques, and legal authorities to conduct investigations.
* Applies knowledge of trends, laws, and investigative case development independently or with other agencies.
* Prepares written documentation utilizing expert knowledge in support of investigations.
### Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
1811 Criminal Investigation
### Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
* You must successfully pass a background investigation.
* You must successfully pass a drug screen.
* Males born after 12/31/59 must certify registration with Selective Service.
* Requirements by Closing Date: Unless otherwise noted, you must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
* Time in Grade: Time in grade restrictions must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Applicants must have at least 52 weeks of service equivalent to the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position to be filled
* Motor Vehicle Operation: You must possess a valid automobile driver's license at the time of appointment.
* Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP): LEAP is approved for these positions to compensate employees for unscheduled duty in excess of the 40-hour work week.
You qualify for the **GS-11** grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience at the **GS-09**grade level performing duties such as:
* Assisting in conducting investigations such as drug trafficking, human trafficking, alien smuggling, production of, and distribution of child pornography, and/or child sex tourism and high technology crimes.
* Assisting in conducting investigations such as those involving computers, networks, and servers to identify potential transnational criminal activities, commercial fraud, intellectual property theft, illegal trade practices, transnational criminal gangs, VISA security programs, identity and benefit fraud, human rights violations and war crimes, cultural property/arts and antiquities, and worksite enforcement.
* Developing and enhancing inter-agency cooperation with other governmental and private sector entities.
* Conducting interviews and interrogations of suspects, witnesses, and informants with guidance
*Education*: Possess a Ph.D. or equivalent degree, or LL.M if related, or possess three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
**Combination of Experience and Education**: A combination of successful completion of graduate level education beyond the second year (i.e., education in excess of the first 36 semester hours) and experience which totals at least one year.
**Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification claims will be subject to verification.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience):**Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**Current or Former Political Appointees:**The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
### Additional information
**Note:** One or more positions may be filled using this vacancy announcement. Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
**Firearms Requirement:**You will be required to carry a firearm while performing duties of this position. Maintaining firearm proficiency is also mandatory. You must satisfactorily complete (or have previously completed) the firearms component of the Criminal Investigation Training Program at Glynco, Georgia. Any person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence cannot lawfully possess a firearm or ammunition. Candidates under consideration will be required to certify whether they have ever been convicted of such an offense. False or fraudulent information provided by candidates is criminally punishable by fine or imprisonment.
**Work Conditions:**This job requires physical strength and stamina to perform such activities as conducting long periods of surveillance, pursuing and restraining suspects, and carrying heavy equipment to be uses in investigative efforts. These activities require considerable physical exertion, such as running, stooping, bending, climbing, lifting and carrying heavy objects. The environment involves work indoors and outdoors in a variety of potentially dangerous and stressful situations, as well as exposure to physical attack, including the use of lethal weapons.
**Promotion Potential:** When promotion potential is shown, the agency is not making a commitment and is not obligated to provide future promotions to you if you are selected. Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
**E-Verify:** DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
**Suitability:** If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
**Background Investigation:**To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet these standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully obtain and maintain a background investigation for Top Secret as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check, a review of financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using an Assessment Questionnaire. The questions are related to the following fundamental competencies (or Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) needed to perform the duties of this job:
* Attention to Detail
* Criminal Investigation
* Manages and Organizes Information
* Oral Communication
Based on your responses, you will receive a score from the Assessment Questionnaire between 70 and 100.
Consideration will be given to performance appraisals and incentive awards as an indicator of quality of prior experience; no points will be assigned.
Those applicants who score the highest will be referred to the hiring manager and may be called for an interview. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
* Required Documents
## Required Documents
1. **Resume** showing relevant experience, education and training. Work experience should include: job title, duties, employer's name, employer's telephone number, employer's address, starting and ending dates (MM/YY), hours worked per week..... click apply for full job details