Head of Development
Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by Safe Passage International
2019 marks the start of an exciting year for Safe Passage International as the organisation embarks on life as an independent charity, following the receipt of charity registration and separation from
The post holder will set the strategic direction for Safe Passage's fundraising department and manage a dynamic and growing team, helping ensure Safe Passage can deliver on its mission to open safe and legal routes for unaccompanied asylum seeking children and adults across its operations in the UK, France, Greece and Italy.
The successful candidate will have a track-record of developing successful fundraising strategies across multiple funding streams, and demonstrate strong relationship-building and management skills.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: CEO
Staff reporting to this post: Three
Role Dimensions: This is a demanding, externally-facing role, leading the programme's fundraising strategy. It requires an ability to:
Develop and deliver a fundraising strategy which secures a strong, diverse, sustainable income for the programme
Contribute to the strategic direction of Safe Passage, as senior manager within the organisation
Develop successful fundraising initiatives, enabling the organisation to meet its income targets and deliver on its strategic priorities
Represent Safe Passage, our aims and our mission to external audiences
Cultivate new and existing relationships with major donors, funders and key supporters.
Understand issues relating to child safeguarding, refugees and asylum law.
Manage multiple and often conflicting demands.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Provide input into the strategic direction of Safe Passage, ensuring brand identity and fundraising are central to decision-making.
· Advise the CEO on key priorities and emerging trends across the funding sector
· Develop and execute the fundraising strategy for Safe Passage that ensures a multi-year funding pipeline, and growth strategy that incorporates major donor, corporate, legacy, individual giving and trusts and foundations.
· Work closely with Field Managers and MEAL lead to ensure funding is aligned with operational priorities and adequate reporting systems developed.
· Ensure Safe Passage has the systems necessary to track, monitor and manage fundraising activity and ensure these are used by the team/other colleagues as necessary.
· Monitor trends across the charity, refugee and child-protection sectors, identifying and capitalising on emerging opportunities.
Developing new and maintaining existing income streams
· Lead and manage the fundraising pipeline and associated process of internal consultation regarding funding needs.
· Identify and develop relationships with potential new partners.
· Cultivate excellent relations with new and existing major donors.
· Manage a high-performing fundraising team, ensuring targets are met and staff are developed.
· Develop and maintain a suite of branded materials for fundraising.
· Ensure that the highest levels of child and vulnerable person safeguarding are upheld at all times.
· Undertake other area of work as required within agreed timeframes.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
· Project management skills and managing complex and multiple projects.
· Excellent written skills and attention to detail including advanced proof reading.
· Excellent communicator and confident relationship builder.
· Excellent interpersonal and presentational skills, including influencing and negotiating with key stakeholders both internal and external at all levels of seniority.
· Proficient use of IT.
· Relevant degree OR professional qualification/membership.
Monitoring and reporting
· Develops and implements monitoring and evaluation and reporting systems for communications and fundraising functions.
· Supports team to ensure impact is captured effectively.
· Ability to interpret/analyse numerical and statistical data.
· Accountable for developing and maintaining a strong and sustainable income for the programme.
· Accountable for communications outputs.
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Safe Passage values.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
· Ability to champion continuous improvement and assist in the implementation of change in the team.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Sound strategic thinking, project management and planning skills, including the ability to turn plans into practical actions and think creatively and innovatively.
· Excellent networking and interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise and communicate with staff across multiple locations, disciplines and cultural environments
· Experienced manager with track-record of leading a high-performing team
· Experience of gaining institutional funding or large grants.
· Experience of establishing and developing new and creative ways of raising money through businesses.
· Ability to communicate in a cross-cultural environment.
· Proven track record of delivering complex logistical and administrative projects.
· Ability to self-start and work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
· Experience of working collaboratively and establishing positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
· A commitment to the Safe Passage's programme and values.
· Experience securing funding in other EU markets
· Experience of working on asylum-related issues
· Experience of working in a humanitarian context
· Experience of working with vulnerable people
· Experience of working with and managing volunteers and interns
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties appropriate to their level of skills and experience.
Safe Passage International
Team Rubicon UK