Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by Aviva
We have an enticing new opportunity for a junior lawyer to join our Aviva UK Insurance (UKI) legal team. Our legal team is a busy and strategically important team which sits at the heart of our business's core goal of helping our customers and Defy Uncertainty , supporting all areas of UKIs diverse business. The team advises our UKI business on a deeply wide variety of matters, including: the full suite of UK life and general insurance products & propositions, their distribution through a range of channels, any contentious issues relating to the UKI business and all UK employment matters.
In this role, you will gain broad legal and commercial experience, working with colleagues right across the UKI legal team. You will develop relationships with colleagues within and outside our UKI team and build your understanding of Aviva and the insurance industry more generally.
You will be joining a committed and collaborative team based in Bristol, London, Norwich, Perth and York. This role could be based at any of those sites.
Duties & Responsibilities
On a day to day basis the role will involve:
- You working collaboratively with members of the team and other teams within Avivas legal function
- You providing pragmatic legal advice for the UKI areas on a broad range of projects, products and propositions
- You building proven relationships with a number of key business partners within Aviva
- You identifying and mitigating legal risks and raising key risks and issues to the Heads of Legal, Director of Legal or General Counsel of UKI, as appropriate
- You providing input into board, committee and other papers where required
- And you supporting UKIs True Customer Composite and Digital First strategies
Skills & Experience required
- A qualified lawyer with in-house and/or private practice experience of at least 1-3 years PQE
- Commercial experience / mindset with strong analytical skills
- You are an excellent oral and written communicator
- Do you possess experience of negotiating and be able to influence others?
- Can you adapt to change?
Any experience and knowledge of regulated financial services in the UK and the law that relates to them is preferred but is not essential for this position.
We are looking for someone who:
- Relishes a challenging, diverse workload
- Has a can do attitude and an enquiring mind
- Possesses an eye for detail as well as a commercial, pragmatic outlook
- Is collaborative with colleagues and a phenomenal teammate
- Is quick to adjust your work priorities to meet the changing demands of both the market and internal partners?
If you answer yes to all of these, please do get in touch.
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, qualifications and experience
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through My Aviva Extras plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Additional Information & Equal Opportunity
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and well support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping customers to Defy Uncertainty .
One of Avivas core values is we Care More , and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Defy Uncertainty -
As a disability confident employer, we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability, (As defined in the The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By minimum criteria we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website and then notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Dan in the Resourcing team on or