Image & Moving Image Researcher - Burrell Renaissance Project Fixed Te
Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by Glasgow City Council
By taking on the role of Burrell Project Image & Moving Image Researcher you'll play a vital part in making a difference to Glasgow's economy and profile, to local communities, and to the people who live, work, visit and play in the city. At the heart of everything we do is our vision: to inspire Glasgow's citizens and visitors to lead richer and more active lives through culture and sport. So, if you're inspired by the opportunity then we urge you to apply. As Burrell Project Image & Moving Image Researcher you will focus on the redevelopment of the Burrell Collection as part of a major HLF funded capital project. This role is an exciting opportunity to assist in identifying and managing digital assets for the Burrell Project and advising the Project team on their use - core role that supports research and content development. You should also have an understanding of museum audiences and their needs.
Key responsibilities include
- Manage and advise on the acquisition, storage and distribution of digital archive material - still and moving image
- Liaise with Curators and other Project staff as required to assist in identifying and locating and acquiring archive / library footage and images - and advising on use
- Create and manage an accessible database of all archive footage and images under consideration for use ('use' includes for reference) - advising Project staff as required
- Manage storage of acquired (digital) footage and image files
- Advise Project team on best practice for storing /distributing /viewing both preview and full-resolution video and still images
- Scan photographic/ graphic / 2D archival material in various formats, advise curators on image scanning, file naming and file transfer
- Advise on matters of copyright, apply to appropriate copyright agencies such as DACS, advise curators on editorial and creative rights when ordering image files
To be successful in this role you have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Practical experience within Photo Library or research / production environment
- Museum/Gallery experience
- Keen understanding of still image file formats and resolutions - for archival and production purposes
- Attention to detail with excellent visual literacy and visual memory
- IT competent and able to demonstrate this - expertise with Adobe CC (or similar) software
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to liaise with external contractors as required to issue footage to requested specification / commission photographers where appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and sustain relationships with a variety of partners, groups and organisations
- Other Flexible, constructive, creative, problem-solving approach
- Ability to work in a changing and flexible organisation
Glasgow Life is the charity responsible for inspiring Glasgow's citizens and visitors to lead richer and more active lives through culture, sport and learning. We believe in the transformational power of the services we provide for the citizens of and visitors to the City of Glasgow.Requirements
We offer a range of employee benefits such as an opportunity to join the Strathclyde Pension Fund, generous holiday entitlement, annual leave purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, staff discounts (including Glasgow Club), flexible retirement, family friendly policies, flu vaccination programme and career break policy…just to name a few!
At Glasgow Life we value diversity and inclusion. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from BAME groups who are currently under-represented in our organisation.
This post is Fixed Term for a period up to 31 March 2020.Responsibilities
Alternative Application Packs can be requested in other formats for example, Large Print, Braille, Audio and other languages. To request an alternative Application Pack please phone.
Packs will be posted out to you within 3 working days of receiving your telephone request.
Please note the closing date of the job advert to ensure that you give yourself plenty of time to complete your application form and return it to us.
For further information about working for us please refer to our website https://work-with-us
Glasgow City Council
Centre for Health and Disability Assessments