Director, Sports Analytics
Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by ESPN
The Director of Sports Analytics will utilize extensive industry knowledge and superior sports analytical skills to lead a team in the creation of performance metrics that keep ESPN at the cutting edge of sports statistical analysis and help grow ESPN's storytelling toolbox. Will use proven techniques drawn from experiences working with pro and/or college teams to help advance ESPN's media efforts in the sports analytics field. Will work closely with the Analytics team to use advanced mathematics and statistical modeling in the development of these metrics. Will work closely with Production teams in the TV and digital areas to mold and sell the metrics to ensure complete integration.
The Director will educate and work with ESPN Production teams on using these analytics in storytelling. Will work in a team environment, and will have the skills to lead and collaborate with the Analytics team members as well as other Stats & Information staffers. The team will identify trends and react to news stories on a daily basis, using the new tools the Analytics team develops. The Director of Sports Analytics will help lead in telling the story in the most accurate way, using advanced analysis, with an important focus on matching that storytelling to the medium. Will be a key representative for the Analytics team, Stats & Info Group (SIG), and ESPN at sports statistics conferences. Will help oversee day-to-day activities of the Analytics team and collaborate with Stats & Info leadership to prioritize projects and evaluate new initiatives. The Director will have 5-7 direct reports and be an integral part of SIG's Senior Management team.
- Partner with peers of SIG's leadership team to recommend data development and content integration priorities that drive best-in-class analytical storytelling and products.
- Meet with ESPN content executives to ensure analytical and metrics-based content is fully considered for effective inclusion within studio, game broadcast, and digital properties.
- Work directly with professional leagues and third-party companies that supply analytics data and tools for ESPN. This includes helping manage contracts and the overall relationship.
- Contribute on SIG's senior staff and provide input on the direction of the department.
- Prioritize projects for the team on a week-to-week and long-term basis.
- Collaborate closely with content stakeholders to ensure they are aware of the content and tools created by the Analytics team and how they can be utilized.
- Hire and evaluate performance of the Analytics team members.
- Ensure the staff reacts aggressively to breaking news and that it supports developing storylines with original information and statistics.
- Think strategically to plan for and drive daily and long-term success.
- Interact as a leader with all levels of management within ESPN and external partners.
- Support the yearly company priorities and stay abreast of industry changes and innovations.
- Lead a key area of SIG built on timely feedback and open communication.
- Empower the staff to produce original and thoughtful content, as well as to problem-solve issues.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- 8+ years' experience in quantitative sports analysis field.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to lead presentations and prepare related information.
- Conversational knowledge of player-tracking data.
- 5 years' experience managing people.
- Demonstrated excellence working with multiple departments to achieve a common goal.
- Organizational skills necessary to lead direct reports across job titles and responsibilities.
- An understanding of technical product management.
- 7+ years' experience managing people
- 2+ years' experience working in a professional or Division I sports-teams' front office, evaluating personnel and strategy through analytics
- Strong programming skills using statistical packages
- Experience speaking directly with athletes and coaches
- Experience using player-tracking data
- College Degree or equivalent
- Master's degree or equivalent
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we're doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.