Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
VA Portland Health Care System (VAPORHCS) is a Level IA interdisciplinary teaching and quarternary facility with service lines serving primary care, emergency, medicine, surgery, specialty, psychiatry, rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, geriatrics and multiple community-based outpatient clinics (CBOC). VAPORHCS also provides Home-Based Primary Care. VAPORHCS received initial Magnet designation in May 2006, re-designation in December 2010, and again in October 2015.
Learn more about this agency
The Assistant Nurse Manager assists and serves as back-up for the Clinical Manager who has 24-hour accountability for patient care delivery on the Acute Inpatient Psychiatry Unit (5C). The incumbent supports the mission, vision, and objectives of the Medical Center and the Division through the following activities:
* Supervises and evaluates day-to-day activities and performance of nursing, other professional, and ancillary support staff assigned to the unit (including selection of new employees and disciplinary actions).
* Plans and manages unit staffing responsibilities to meet patient care needs, to achieve cost-effective unit operations and to meet productivity goals.
* Uses creative problem solving in the resolution of complex clinical and administrative problems.
* Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to continuously improve productivity, efficiency, patient/customer satisfaction and patient care outcomes.
* Assures that standards of care and practice are maintained in patient care.
* Assesses, maintains, and improves competence and professional role of staff members which includes providing staff development opportunities and facilitating evidence-based practice.
* Participates in data collection, performance improvement, and quality outcomes management for the Acute Inpatient Psychiatry Unit and Division
The Assistant Nurse Manager's practice is characterized by leadership and expertise in managing various issues. When providing direct services to patients, acts as a role model of expert and ethical clinical nursing. The incumbent must demonstrate a high level of skill in providing, supervising, and guiding staff in the delivery of care for patients with various diagnosis and changing conditions, which may require specialized care. This includes skill and knowledge in acute care patient flow, CPRS (computerized patient record system), and utilization of BCMA (bar code medication administration).
**Work Schedule:** Nights:1, one 8 hour shift each pay period; rotating weekend coverage required
**Financial Disclosure Report:** Not required
**EDRP:** Not available
### Travel Required
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
### Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Designated and/or random drug testing required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to a background/security investigation
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
* Must pass pre-employment physical examination
* United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. **OR** The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) **OR** In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
* Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
**Preferred Experience:** BSN, 3-4 years recent acute care experience or mental health care experience with 2 years leadership experience.
**Grade Determinations**: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
**Reference:** VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
**Physical Requirements:** Moderate lifting / carrying (15-44 lbs); use of fingers; Straight pulling & hand over hand pulling (.25 hr); Pushing (.5 hr); Reaching above shoulder. Walking (6hr); standing (2hr); Repeated bending and climbing (.5-1hr). Depth perception; hearing (aid permitted); ability to distinguish basic and shades of colors. Mental and emotional stability required. Ability to for rapid mental and muscular coordinating simultaneously. Protracted or irregular hours of work.
**IMPORTANT:**A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
**Note:**Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:
### Additional information
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
**IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC..... click apply for full job details
Correct Care Solutions
VNA of Central Jersey
Epix Healthcare Associates
Sunshine Terrace Foundation
Correct Care Solutions
British American Household Staffing
Gentiva Health Services, Inc.
Air Medical Group Holdings
VNA Health Group