Senior Public Affairs Manager
Posted on Dec 19, 2018 by Advancing People Ltd
Advancing People are recruiting for a Senior Public Affairs Manager, our client, a pioneer in diagnostic imaging & information systems for the healthcare in both the private and public sector in the UK.
As their Medical Systems UK business continues to grow, they have a new requirement for an experienced Senior Public Affairs Manager to develop and manage a programme of public affairs activity.
Key Impact of role
- Create a public understanding of their impact on the healthcare environment
- Position them as a critical stakeholder in healthcare policy issues of strategic importance to the Medical Systems UK business
- Build strong networks and sustainable relationships with political and policy stakeholders
- Provide expert counsel and identify specific actions related to opportunities and threats presented by government policy for business units, product teams and senior management
- Successfully interpret critical developments in government health and life sciences policy, identify the opportunities and threats to their business and develop appropriate plans to influence and engage in health policy development in line with their strategic and commercial objectives
- Deliver a successful and ongoing engagement programme so that senior executives can meet and engage with senior policymakers in central government and the NHS - providing a platform to get key business issues across
- Successfully integrate insight and intelligence became integrated at the first stage of the business planning and development process and closely aligned with all marketing communications activities.
Working with the support of an appointed public affairs agency, typical activities would include:
- Representing on a variety of disease topics aligned to their business areas to highlight policy disconnects and identify opportunities for mutually beneficial solutions and aligned healthcare policies which provide commercial benefit
- Developing effective networks and relationships with key external stakeholders - from senior politicians to think-tanks, to patient groups
- Identifying key policy stakeholders for each clinical priority area and engage with these individuals so that they can have a more informed debate about issues, policy gaps/disjoints and opportunities aligned with their business areas
- Creating an ongoing high-level engagement programme for senior executives to meet and engage with senior decision makers
- Facilitating a regular calendar of events such as debates, parliamentary receptions (e.g. involving patient groups)
- Developing briefing documents that highlight policy issues around each clinical area of concern and create consistent approved messaging when engaging with any external stakeholders
- BA degree in politics / policy / public relations or equivalent experience
Previous experience operating at Public Affairs Manager level within the healthcare industry, with a particular focus on the political and policy landscape.
The ideal candidate's experience will have been gained with the Mammography/breast cancer space (preferred); or diagnostic equipment/devices space. Alternatively the candidate will have worked within the pharma industry.
Experience may have been gained within the private, public, charity or trade association sector
Experience and understanding of NHS and Department of Health; healthcare trends and issues; Healthcare Secretary vision for the NHS/Healthcare.
Member of a Public Affairs membership body preferred e.g. Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), Public Relations & Communications Association (PRCA)
- In-depth knowledge of the UK healthcare political and policy landscape, and existing relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to interact with senior management and communicate at all levels of the organisation
- Experience of planning and managing public affairs strategies across a range of healthcare topics
- Ability to develop and manage complex and high-impact projects with varying and shifting priorities, with superior organisational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communications including presentation skills
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams and highly matrixed environments
- Demonstrate analytical and conceptual problem-solving ability
- High level of social competence and excellent networking skills, and have strong relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate ability to apply general business knowledge and experience in a complex, fast paced environment
- Demonstrate ability to develop and lead public affairs and stakeholder engagement programs and plans, both externally and internally
This role will be based from their Head Office in Bedford, although we do expect that 50% of the working week will be field based building relationships and attending meetings/events.
Salary: to £50,000 dependent on experience
Benefits: 10% Performance Bonus + Pension (6% Employer Contribution, 3% Employee Contribution) + Private Medical Cover + Life Assurance + 25 days holiday (exclusive of Bank holidays).
Advancing People Recruitment Specialists Advancing People Ltd is an Equal Opportunities Employer and acts as both an Employment Business and Employment Agency.
Callidus Consulting Limited
First Military Recruitment
First Military Recruitment