Customer Claims Handler
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by LV=
To process and settle a variety of general insurance claims within your product group and to accurately allocate others to the relevant area(s) of expertise as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
To be available for our customers at their time of need, capturing and assessing details of new claims, whilst identifying individual needs and matching them to the appropriate fulfilment option.
To deliver exceptional customer care in balance with commercial, regulatory and risk based principles.
For Levels 1 and 2*:
A natural ability and desire to provide excellent customer care.
By the time you have completed your training you will have:
- An understanding of core product cover and benefits
- An understanding of the overall claims journey
- The ability to recognise problems and respond appropriately
- Understanding of basic insurance principles
- Understanding of all regulatory requirements for your role
- Good navigation of all systems required for your role
- Excellent interpersonal skills
*There will be two levels within the Customer Claims Handler role:
- Level 1 Handlers are those who are new to role and have generally been with us for less than 6 months and therefore have limited knowledge and experience in this area
- Progression to Level 2 will typically take place after passing probation and based on meeting an expected level of competence (which would be expected after between 6-12 months)
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of core product cover and benefits.
- Recognise individual customer needs and correctly inform on non-standard/secondary cover and benefits.
- Understand the end to end claims journey and be confident in allocating claims to the relevant internal departments or external supply chain accurately and efficiently.
- Be able to recognise problems and respond appropriately and quickly if something goes wrong, in line with agreed claims handling processes and guidelines.
- Understand basic insurance principles/practices and how they apply to your role.
- Be commercially focused by controlling expenditure (e.g. reserving, payments) and maximising our preferred supply chain opportunities.
- Identify and refer possible risk, fraud and indemnity concerns.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of our regulatory requirements (TCF/Complaints etc.).
- Use internal and external IT systems appropriately and accurately in addition to various Microsoft Office applications as required (Outlook, Word).
- Ability to communicate with external third parties in the course of handling a claim for expert advice/guidance and/or investigations
- Ability to identify and escalate possible risks and issues to their line manager
- Demonstrate a good awareness and application of customer care and engagement.
- To confidently manage expectations and signpost the next steps accurately.
- To be confident in resolving low level customer complaints, in line with the set complaints process, and escalating where appropriate.
- Be able to negotiate and influence positively in accordance with policy terms and within set limits.
This role is for 35 hours a week working on a rota basis between Monday-Friday 8am-8pm. You will be required to work the occasional bank holiday and 1 in 3 Saturdays working 8am-5pm.
About the Rewards
This role is a Band A in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page. We want you to love what you do that's why we've put together a benefits package that recognises and rewards a job well done.
We'll give you:
- 24 days' holiday - which increases after two years' service
- an annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- a flexible benefits package (e.g. discounted retail vouchers, great value dental insurance, childcare vouchers)
- a competitive pension for which LV= will pay twice the amount you pay, up to 14%
- a generous 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel. Up to 50% discount on your car insurance and up to 20% discount from our life products.
Here at LV= we always love to hear from great people, so don't forget to follow us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and become a fan on Facebook. We're also proud to say we're an equal opportunities employer. Why not follow us on Glassdoor and take the opportunity to see real reviews of what it's like to work here.