Digital Content & Communications Officer
Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by AGA KHAN FOUNDATION
After its recent move to the Aga Khan Centre , the Aga Khan Foundation UK , one of the world's leading international development organisations, is looking to dial up its communications activity to enable us to make the most of our new facilities and share more stories about the transformational work we do with more people than ever before. As such, AKF(UK) is looking to hire a creative communications professional and visual story-teller to help support these efforts.
Purpose of Position & Responsibilities
The Digital Content & Communications Officer will work with the Senior Communications Manager to create engaging print and digital content, run an ambitious events programme and develop new partnerships with media to engage and inform existing and new audiences about the work of the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) and broader Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN). The person in this role is expected to have experience using graphic design software as well as proven experience of managing digital platforms.
Reporting to the Senior Communications Manager, this person will:
- Use news articles, photography and video libraries, booklets and brochures, AKDN websites, and more to create engaging social media posts, website pages, and blogs that can be shared across a variety of social media platforms - Facebook , Twitter , Instagram (AKDN), YouTube and LinkedIn - and AKF(UK)'s website .
- Update the AKF(UK) website to ensure information is current and communicates our latest messaging.
- Work with AKF Commuincations colleagues in US and Canada to co-manage our social media dashboard to schedule posts and ensure there is a steady stream of content across platforms.
- Analyse website and social media engagement to make recommendations about future content.
- Keep track of relevant UN 'World Days' and plan content around these to reach new audiences.
- Write-up and design case studies about the work of AKF (including 'human interest stories') to bring our impact to life.
- Identify like-minded organisations/content partners who can help amplify the reach of our content and messages.
- Support the Senior Communications Manager to develop a suite of girls' education in Afghanistan communications products.
- Develop fact sheets and other communications products about key institutional donors (e.g. DFID) that outline the partnership history between AKDN and the donor and what we have achieved together.
- Support the Programmes & Partnerships team to create visually engaging communications products to share with existing or prospective donors, e.g. presentations and brochures.
- Create engaging newsletters to deliver inspiring stories to people's inboxes
- Update existing print materials and design new marketing materials for use at events, e.g. exhibition stands
- Assist the Senior Communications Manager in engaging and cultivating press contacts in journalism and media, as necessary, including identifying and placing compelling stories and developing press releases.
- Assist the Senior Communications Manager to establish a Media Partnership around AKF's Girls Education programme in Afghanistan (tbc)
- Assist the Senior Communications Manager to develop and deliver high quality and professional events and outreach activities in line with AKF (UK)'s long-range strategy to help position AKF as a thought leader in the international development space. This includes developing an appropriate event format to enlisting participants, identifying the audience, handling invitations and managing the event logistics.
- Key events in 2019 include AKF's sponsorship of the Jaipur Literature Festival; the launch of two reports about AKDN's work in Afghanistan; and more.
Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Senior Communications Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES & INTERESTS
- Master's Degree desired in a relevant subject, preferably in Development Communications, with a solid understanding of development history, issues, arguments, and indicators and the latest communications practices.
Skills & Experience
- Intermediate-advanced graphic design skills with experience of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator; InDesign; Photoshop), online communications tools, and Office and Mac apps;
- Experience of developing high quality communications materials yourself (not only through engagement with external consultants);
- Intermediate-advanced Powerpoint skills;
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail;
- Experience of using Wordpress, managing websites and social media scheduling tools;
- Experience of supporting the delivery of engaging events;
- Knowledge of latest communication platforms, tools, trends and developments;
- Understanding of social media and related tools, specifically how to engage audiences and increase engagement;
- Knowledge of and commitment to international development.
Attributes & Interests
- A love of photography, graphic design and visual story-telling;
- Committed to international development, improving the quality of life and promoting pluralism through civil society;
- Respectful of diversity; sensitive toward others in their context, situation and challenges; pluralistic, open and understanding toward other people's cultures, values, autonomy, and faiths;
- Likes getting things done to deadlines and to a high professional standard;
- Entrepreneurial, pro-active self-starter with emotional intelligence.
Please include in your application:
- Your CV and a cover letter about why you are suited to the role
- Two examples of your work that demonstrates your ability to design print and online marketing materials that tell compelling visual stories.
- A link to your photography and/or design portfolio if you have one.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
PUBLIC LAW PROJECT
Damson Media Limited
SW6 Associates Ltd
Damson Media Limited