Independent Non Executive Director
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by NATIONAL ONLINE SELF EXCLUSION SCHEME
The National Online Self Exclusion Scheme Limited (NOSES Ltd) is a not for profit private company limited by guarantee, trading as GAMSTOP and was incorporated in November 2016. GAMSTOP was set up and is funded by the online gambling industry to provide a central online solution for individuals resident within the UK to exclude themselves from being able to gamble on all British licensed online gambling websites. On 25 th April 2018 GAMSTOP went live to consumers, providing a platform for them to centrally exclude from 57 operators integrated at that time. Since that date the vast majority of British licensed operators have integrated with the service; it is the company's ambition that it will become a licence condition, close to the first year anniversary of GAMSTOP operation, for all British licensed online gambling operators to be integrated with the scheme.
GAMSTOP is run by a small team located at the head office in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. The technology provision is outsourced to a third party located in Leeds, with a team of 12FTE dedicated to the GAMSTOP service. GAMSTOP also manages an outsourced contact centre for customer queries, which is based in Wales, providing a team of 14 working between 8am - midnight, Monday to Sunday. Contracts are in place for the provision of other professional services, utilised on an ad hoc basis.
For more information about the service please see GAMSTOP website.
Following the recruitment of an independent Chair of GAMSTOP in September 2018, we are seeking two Independent Non-Executive Directors to join the NOSES Ltd Board. Working with the other board members they will provide leadership and non-industry perspective to NOSES Ltd, as it develops and embeds its national self-exclusion scheme (GAMSTOP) within the British market. The aim is for the Board to reflect the independence of NOSES Ltd from the industry despite it being wholly funded by licensed operators: following the recruitment of these two directors the Board will be composed of a majority of independent members.
As members of the board, all Directors are required to:
- Promote the long-term sustainable success of the company, contributing to wider society.
- Set the company's vision, values and standards and satisfy themselves that these and its culture are aligned.
- Act with integrity, lead by example and promote the desired culture.
- Set the company's strategic aims, ensure that the necessary resources are in place for the organisation to meet its objectives, and review management performance.
- Satisfy themselves on the integrity of financial information and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.
- Provide constructive challenge, strategic guidance, offer specialist advice and hold management to account.
- Allocate sufficient time to meet their board responsibilities.
In addition to these requirements for all Directors, the role of Independent Non-Executive Director has the following key responsibilities:
- Constructively challenge Board decision making from a neutral and independent perspective.
- Utilise specific skill set to offer specialist advice and guidance to the Board and executive management team.
- We will be appointing 2 NEDs. One will bring experience in data ethics or data protection from an organisational perspective. The other will have strong financial experience holding a financial qualification and with experience in a senior financial position.
- Demonstrable independence from the gambling industry, both current and historic
- The skill to represent and promote NOSES Ltd to external stakeholders as necessary
- The availability to attend meetings in the UK
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and an understanding of, or sympathy with, the social responsibility sector
- Experience in any of the following areas:
- Outsourced IT delivery
- Working with vulnerable individuals
- Consumer research and evaluation
- Previous experience as a trustee or non-executive director
Time Commitment and Remuneration
The position of Independent Non-Executive Director is remunerated at the level of £5,000 per year. Reasonable travel expenses will also be covered for attendance at board meetings and events.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to become an Independent Non-Executive Director for The National Online Self Exclusion Scheme Limited, please send a copy of your curriculum vitae along with a covering letter of no more than 2 pages that clearly sets out how you meet the criteria for the role, ahead of the deadline, by email via the button below.
The deadline for applications is Monday 17 th December 2018 at 5pm.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend an interview in central London on either the 29 th or 30 th January 2019. If you are unable to make the interview dates, please make this clear in your covering letter advising possible alternative suitable dates.
We are a small staff team so we regret that only applicants invited to interview will be contacted, and we will be unable to provide feedback to those who are unsuccessful.
- Up to 1 day per month, ensuring sufficient time is allocated to attend and prepare for all meetings
- Required to attend all Board meetings, minimum of 4 meetings per annum held within the UK
- Provision of advice and challenge to the staff team on an ad hoc basis
- Independent Non-Executive Director will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term