Linux Server Engineer
Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by Request Technology - Anthony Honquest
Linux Server Engineer
Prestigious Company is seeking a Linux Server Engineer. As a member of the Server Operations team, provide day-to-day support for the global Company server infrastructure. Daily activities include Project Coordination and Planning, Server Operations PSPG's (Policies Standards Procedures Guidelines), Project Deployment, Server Environment Provisioning, Analysis & Reports, Administrative Support, Perform Data Center Analysis and Execution, and Vendor Management & Coordination.
Applicants must be able to support both Windows and Linux Servers for operational support. This position has a strong focus on Linux Servers and appliances.
- Maintain a hybrid Linux & Windows server environment including deploying new Servers, decommissioning Servers, troubleshooting issues with existing Servers and assisting other IT groups with specific server related tasks such as installing new roles and implementing security team mandated changes and guidelines.
- Strong understanding of different Linux OS versions including Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu, SUSE and Debian including provisioning, installing, securing, monitoring and maintaining Linux hardware and software infrastructure.
- Apply and maintain best practices and patch management on Linux Servers.
- Deploy automation tools and write scripts on Linux Servers.
- Strong virtualization technology. Must be able to deploy, maintain and upgrade VMWare ESXi 6.x. Must understand vCenter and be able to perform all essential functions within the application.
- Install, configure and maintain Cisco UCS server hardware.
- Respond to Level 1 thru 3 support tickets and provide timely support to other IT groups.
- Work on IT projects and be able to see project from planning stages to completion.
- Work with new hardware and software technologies and be able to understand and learn said technologies to become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) as needed or delegated by manager.
- Work with the Operation Center team to provide data center support as necessary for server technologies.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills
The Server Engineer 2 must have a BA/BS in computer science, related field, or equivalent experience. Must have 5+ years of overall technology experience along with 3+ years supporting major implementations in large scale Windows, Linux, VMWare and Hyper-V environments.
- Able to configure Microsoft and Linux Operating systems and VMware and Hyper-V hypervisors.
- Knowledge of Linux and Microsoft server maintenance techniques and the ability to apply them consistently across all Servers.
- Basic coding techniques (PowerShell, Bash, Perl, Phython) and the ability to automate processes to implement and manage the server environment effectively.
- Knowledge of networking and load balancing and fail over systems.
- Knowledge of the application of system concepts such as DNS, VMWare vMotion, VMware Storage vMotion, Hyper-V and other server technologies.
- Knowledge of hardware vendors and the tools associated with selected vendor products.
- Ability to install, configure and implement hardware (rack, stack, and cabling).
- Capable of interpreting messages/alerts from multiples systems to identify potential problems.
- Have worked with and adhered to Change Control Management policies and implementation standards.
Tools and Equipment
- Required to carry an iPhone and/or other wireless device and respond to off hour emergencies. Availability to work nights and weekends as required for systems maintenance and support.