Community Benefit Specialist
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Baystate Health
** _ What You Will Do:_**
Under the direction of the Director, Community Relations, the Community Benefit Specialist coordinates Baystate Health?s Community Benefit Program?s functions and related activities to fulfill the charitable obligation of Baystate Health and its four hospitals in meeting State and Federal government requirements. The Specialist will provide support to each of Baystate?s four Community Benefits Advisory Councils and coordinate Baystate?s contributions to broader collaborative community health planning efforts. This position is also responsible for annually tracking, quantifying and reporting on Baystate?s community benefit activities and investments, and demonstrating measurable outcomes. The Specialist coordinates Baystate?s participation in the triennial regional community health needs assessment, in partnership with the Coalition of Western MA Hospitals. The Specialist ensures Baystate fulfills its regulatory requirements of the Accountable Care Act (ACA) and IRS, the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General, and the MA Department of Public Health?s Determination of Need requirements, including community health needs assessment (CHNA), community benefits implementation strategies, and community engagement standards.
** _ Additional responsibilities will include:_**
* Work closely with community partners in our multiple service areas to coordinate Baystate Health?s support through community benefits grant program in alignment with organizational and community health priorities. This role works in partnership with the Government and Community Relations Coordinator, marketing, various departments within the organization.
* Undertakes various projects and tasks related to serving the community, exposure to all aspects of the Government and Community Relations department with the opportunity for other related assignments & projects.
* Maintains knowledge of current trends, best practices, and changes within the community benefit sector. Keeps current on advocacy-related issues that impact community benefits. Demonstrates expertise in community and public health concepts and community engagement standards, and utilizes knowledge in the coordination of the health systems community benefit program. Annually evaluates BH community benefit program.
* Supports Director of Community Relations in the development and planning of annual community benefit program budgets, benefit budgets, maintaining accurate accounting of expenditures, and developing reports for the Director and VP.
* Builds and maintains collaborative relationships within the department, in the hospital, and in the community.
** _ What You Will Need:_**
* Associates Degree is required
* Familiarity with Community Benefits, specifically as defined by the MA Office of the Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service is required
* At least one (1) year of planning in a related field is preferred and a minimum three (3) years of managing similar type initiatives and programs, preferably in the non-profit arena.
* Experience in a large, complex health care organization
* Experience with Foundant Technology (or similar grant management software)
** _ Skills:_**
* Strong communication skills, including written, oral, analytic, and presentation skills
* Ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate.
* Ability to work independently and in groups
* Demonstrates the ability to work with diverse populations and excels in collaborative and relationship building skills.
* Has skills related to consulting and negotiating, ability to collect and analyze data, support strategic directions and is able to demonstrate experience with advocacy initiatives.
* Familiarity with related material in the Microsoft Office computer applications.
* Some flexibility of working evenings and weekends for community events and other community engagement related activities.
* Requires spending time with community providers within the local area.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
*Job ID:* 82980
*Location:* Springfield, Massachusetts
*Full/Part Time:* Full-Time