Camp Christopher Environmental Education Instructor
Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by Catholic Charities Diocese of Cleveland
Experience Level: None
Education: High School/G.E.D.
Catholic Charities - Diocese of Cleveland has been selected for the fourth year in a row as one of The Plain Dealer's Top Workplaces . As one of the largest comprehensive health and human services organizations in the region, Catholic Charities, Diocese of Cleveland carries out Christ's healing mission here in Northeast Ohio. Catholic Charities delivers more than 150 services at 60 locations to over 400,000 individuals each year - providing help and creating hope for people of every race and religion throughout the eight counties in the Diocese of Cleveland (Ashland, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Summit and Wayne).
Studies show that environmental education engages students in learning, raises test scores, and encourages today's youth to pursue careers in environmental and natural resources. Environmental Education Programs at Camp Christopher are designed for grades Pre-K through 12 and support the Ohio Academic Content Standards.
The Environmental Educator Instructor will ensure that the activities of this position and relevant programs are consistent with the mission, vision and values of the Secretariat for Catholic Charities Health and Human Services. Plan and implement a variety of lessons about the environment using science, math and health curriculum. Examples include pond studies, stream measurement, compass use, geology study and many others. Ensure campers are participating in all program areas in a manner that would not cause harm to themselves, others or the environment. Perform other duties necessary to accomplish objectives.
- Combination of experience and education normally represented by a High School Diploma or equivalent with six months to a year experience working with children/youth.
- Previous camping experience a plus.
- Knowledge of the growth of children and concern for their emotional, physical and spiritual needs.
- Enjoy the outdoors.
- A desire and the ability to work with children outdoors.
- Ability to make quick decisions in life threatening situations.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR or attained through training during orientation.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, squat and reach above head.
- Must be able to life/carry up to 50 pounds unassisted.
- Must be able to physically assist campers to stand, sit, use restroom and walk.
- Must have good oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to show patience and courtesy when working with people.
- Final applicant is required to be fingerprinted to complete background check.
Catholic Charities Diocese of Cleveland
Southwest General Health Center