Travel Training Service Support Officer
Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by Capita Managed Services
This role is part time, 3 days per week (22.2 hours) with a prorata salary of £11,250 per annum.
Interviews will be held across Thursday 20th and Friday 21st December 2018.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
We are looking for someone with strong administration skills, who has experience working in a fast paced environment and has the ability to remain calm under pressure. Previous experience in a support role is desirable but not essential.
The job is varied and includes responsibilities such as data management, customer support via telephone and email. We also require the successful candidate to liaise with customers and engage our key stakeholders - someone who is a clear communicator and confident to work on their own would be ideal; with a good knowledge of applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel and willing to learn new software packages.
The ideal candidate will have previous administration experience and be able to learn new tasks easily, as well as the ability to work independently using professional judgement.
The Travel Training Service Support Officer is critical in ensuring young people and adults with Special Educational Needs (SEN) and/or disabilities are given the opportunity to learn how to travel independently on public transport to access education, employment or training. It is vital that young people and adults can access education and employment opportunities to maximise their future potential and reduce spend in key areas of Local Authority budgets (e.g. transport, social care)
Delivering behind the scenes, essential functions are the key aspect of the role and thereby ensure our Travel Trainers can deliver one-to-one training effectively and efficiently to our clients.
* Be the first port of call for customer enquiries and applications into the Travel Training service across Essex and all authorities that we deliver our service too.
* Ensure timely entry of applications into Capita One, liaising with the EIBS team where necessary, and resolve any minor system issues.
* Ensure central records on staff training are maintained, including health and safety checks, eDBS service, equipment, evaluation or equivalent.
* Generate reports from Capita One, as directed, to assist managers.
* Co-ordinate stock levels, create orders and ensure distribution, as required, in the most efficient way possible.
* Book and arrange courses and team meetings for the service, including the taking of minutes.
* Support the Travel Training Managers in their roles and process requests that deliver cost efficiencies against ECC contracted transport and social care spend.
* Attending regular team meetings and provide peer support across the wider team.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Excellent IT skills (including Microsoft Office) is essential
* Excellent communication and presentations skills, with evidence of continuing professional development
* A keen eye for detail and experience of supporting remote colleagues in an effective manner is critical
* Knowledge of bus and train services and associated issues for individuals with SEN
* Experience of working within a SEN or Adult Social Care setting directly with clients would be of benefit
* A knowledge and understanding of Independent Travel Training (desirable)
* Good standard of general education (A level / NVQ level 3 within a relevant sector, plus 5 GCSE's A-C (new GCSE 4-9) including English and Math's or equivalent) or equivalent experience in the field
* An Enhanced DBS is required for this post
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.