Systems Engineering Manager
Posted on Dec 15, 2018 by Thales
Systems Engineering Manager (SEM)
Location: Cheadle (involves UK based travel)
Department: Engineering Services Portfolio
The Engineering Services Portfolio is responsible for providing support to legacy systems within the UK with a focus on infrastructure for example electricity generation area, this can be split into three main distinct areas
- EDF Energy - Nuclear Generation, Thales currently has a 10 year Long Term Support Contract until 2023 to Support the DPCS in 6 of the 8 UK Nuclear Stations Services include identifying and mitigating risk of supporting DPCS to Revised Planning Dates as well as system/hardware/software/database/training support EDFs Strategic ambition to use Thales as Tier 1 supplier for DPCS support
- Re-engineering and replacement of legacy / obsolete equipment
APMS - Conventional Generation, legacy product support
Primary Purpose of the role
Being a key member of the Portfolio leadership team to:
- Identify to the PEM emerging engineering issues, and to develop tactical and strategic focus for the customer.
- Provide the customer with a point of contact for technical aspects, agree with the customers the Thales commitments and ensure these are delivered to the agreed costs and on time.
- Put in place and maintain reporting structures that recognise a dispersed multidiscipline team.
- Monitor the Long Term Support contract KPIs to ensure that Thales does not receive negative KPIs
- Requesting the required resources for both Ad Hoc and Long Term Support works
- Identify and progress opportunities (bids) to develop the portfolio offering to the Long Term Support customer
- Act as the primary technical point of contact for SIX on the Cheadle site
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Responsible for technical quality of all deliverables, including compliance with applicable legislation, standards and procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring all engineering activities are conducted in a safe manner, compliant with applicable Health and Safety legislation, including OHSAS 18001 and any other applicable legislation or EDF procedures.
- Ensuring engineering activities are conducted in accordance with Thales' environmental practices including ISO 14001 and any other applicable legislation or EDF procedures.
- Attend an engineering review meeting with each station at least quarterly, and upon request in the event of extraordinary meeting being required to discuss urgent issues.
- The SEM shall be the main point of contact for EDF central technical organisation and station staff for technical aspects of the LTS
- Provide technical knowledge to Thales engineers required for their roles.
- Monitor and manage as appropriate the ad-hoc station specific Request for Support work packages.
- Provide on a monthly basis a project based service review to the customer
- Support the internal and external risk reviews
- Ensure a culture of 'no surprises' becomes normal practice in the engineering activities, ensuring development issues, risks and opportunities are recognised at the earliest possible stage of all project and new business activities.
- Take a key role in the selection of suppliers to ensure that they can deliver the expectations of Thales and the customer and where required identify the gaps and methods to close.
- To ensure technical leadership within the Portfolio in particular the correct application and tailoring of the required lifecycle.
- Ensure the engineering management documents, notably Systems Engineering Management Plan, Software Development Plan, Safety & Environmental Management Plan and Hardware Development Plan are maintained and updated as required.
- Communicate the security requirements and ensure the engineers comply with Thales and the customers requirements and expectations.
Essential and Desirable Skills/Experience
- Clear and demonstrable technical and managerial leadership within an engineering environment, with excellent people management skills and the ability to influence and challenge others.
- Team player who can interface at all levels within engineering and manufacturing company, represent the company to outside government and customer organisations, and who can operate successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work professionally and constructively within a team environment providing advice and consultancy.
- Is a self-starter, capable of working on own initiative with a high level of integrity.
- A confident communicator, resourceful and proactive, ensuring adequate quality and timely delivery.
- Extensive knowledge of the customers' expectations and application of process
- Comprehensive understanding of Engineering Standards, engineering processes and maturity models.
- An ability to quickly assimilate and utilise a knowledge of the technical and market environment and apply this to the commercial requirements of the business.
- Knowledge of methodologies associated with Agile ways of working.
- Able to demonstrate a vision for the future technical direction of the business.
- Degree or equivalent experience in a relevant Engineering / Computer Science Field
- Preferably Chartered Engineer
Travel to client sites (Nuclear Environment clean side only) will be required regularly. Travel to other Thales premises will also be required. Travel within Europe will be infrequent. Therefore flexibility to travel and work at other locations is essential.