Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by Hays Specialist Recruitment Limited
Project Manager - Swindon
The largest and most ambitious programme my client has undertaken in recent times, it will transform how the care for, access and share their internationally significant collection with the world.
Over the next five years they will study, photograph and transport 320,000 objects from London to a new purpose-built collection management facility in Wiltshire. This new facility Building will house over 80% of the collection, and from 2023 will open regularly through a varied programme of public tours, school and research visits.
The building is a fit-for-purpose collection management facility designed to house and care for the collection. The c.33,000m2 building will be a lightly modified standard industrial warehouse and will be located on the outskirts of Swindon. The contract for the construction has been let under a Design and Build Contract, the lead in period is underway, start on site is programmed for Jan 2019 and practical completion for December 2019.
My client are looking for a Client Project Manager to act as client representative for the Project, to be the main point of contact between the museum and the external team, ensure that the new building is fitted out on time and on budget, and that museum activities relating to the occupation and use of the Building are planned and delivered successfully.
This is likely to be an individual with significant experience in client-side project management for large scale capital projects who can join the team in Swindon. They will combine a keen eye for detail and sound decision making with a hands-on attitude, and will bring a confident, proactive and thorough attitude to this complex project.
- Managing and reporting on activity and performance of external project team and contractor
- Review alternative design proposals on behalf of the client, highlighting areas of change to stakeholders and coordinating feedback as appropriate
- Managing the impact of the construction work and its operations at Swindon, working closely with the external construction project manager and the clerk of works.
- Consolidating and detailing the brief of all fit out elements for Building, in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Managing the tender process for selected contracts, such as specialist fit out, racking, fixtures and fittings.
- Managing the installation of fit out elements for Building, in close coordination with the clerk of works, main contractor, external project manager and team.
- Managing the handover process in close co-ordination with the external project manager, Clerk of works and Estates team
- Develop a plan for the occupation of the new building and its operations in collaboration with colleagues and the dedicated object moves project team. This will involve identifying priorities, dependencies and manage changes at the site to support the new operation.
- Planning, monitoring and reporting on the client direct costs of the project in an accurate and responsible manner.
- Monitoring and reporting on programme
- Managing the Building risk register
- Effectively communicating with stakeholders, securing and influencing their support and contributions; identifying and resolving problems.
- Administering the Project Steering Group, Project Delivery Group.
- Complying with the Group H&S Policies, risk assessments and safe systems of work and reporting any health and safety concerns.
- Have demonstrable experience of project work and the ability to co-ordinate complex tasks within tight timescales.
- Have a solid understanding of the way building projects are delivered, with good experience of working with designers, architects and buildings professionals such as Quantity Surveyors. Ideally, have experience of acting as client representative in a design & build construction project
- Have a proven track record of managing significant budgets successfully.
- Have confidence, persuasion, diplomacy, negotiating and conflict resolution skills to ensure ongoing commitment to the successful outcome the project.
- Be an excellent team player, with the ability to generate ideas and drive projects forward.
- Have the ability to proactively identify and understand the risks to a project, and to plan for their effective management or avoidance.
- Have the ability to react positively and proactively to change.
- Have experience of procurement in a public sector context.
- Have a practical understanding of health & safety, with desirable knowledge of CDM regulations.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
UK Shared Business Services
We Are SSG
Hays Specialist Recruitment Limited