Posted on Dec 12, 2018 by milton keynes college
HMPYOI Winchester are seeking an innovative Construction Lecturer to join the education department within the prison.
As a Multi-Skilled Construction worker, you will be dynamic and highly motivated with excellent construction skills and industry knowledge. You will support and inspire a diverse group of leaners to develop confidence, skills and experience to achieve Level 1 and 2 City and Guilds qualifications within Carpentry, Brickwork, Plastering and Plumbing. This is an amazing opportunity, which will be both challenging and highly rewarding.
As a creative and passionate individual with excellent Construction skills, you will use your current industry experience to support and inspire learners to develop confidence, skills and experience and achieve qualifications within Carpentry, Brickwork, Plastering, Plumbing and Painting and Decorating, which learners can then apply to gain sustainable employment upon release.
As a valued member of the Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will also help to develop a strong Construction programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Painting and Decorating, Carpentry, Brickwork, Plastering and/or Plumbing. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Construction teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be proactive and inspiring, with skills & knowledge to share with our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMPYOI Winchester, Hampshire, SO22 5DF
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 per annum
Closing date: 17th December 2018
Skills Supplement of up to £2,000 available
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
- 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
- Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
- Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
- Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
- 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
- Plus many more…
About HMP Winchester:
HMP/YOI Wincester is a busy Category B/C Local prison housing both sentenced and remand prisoners from the age of 18. The Education Department delivers relevant short courses that help prepare learners for employment upon release in three different Education areas in the prison. Courses include English and Maths Functional Skills (Entry 1 to Level 2), ESOL, ICT, Art, Cookery, Employability Skills, and Barbering. We also work closely with our prison colleagues to provide embedded Employability skills in the prison workshops for Carpentry, Recycling, Textiles and Enterprise Services. The Education department has recently started working with external employers to provide employment opportunities upon release to the workers in the main prison kitchen who engage in the Hospitality and Catering Academy programme provided by the College in partnership with Premier Inn and those keen to show their potential through a fast track employment course linked to Timpsons. This is a model, which we hope to expand in the future.
In the department we believe the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge will help our learners to end their offending behaviour. We engage the hardest to reach learners and encourage them to take pride in their own education and self-development. As a department, we endeavour to inspire learners to achieve. This enthusiasm for learning and desire to help our learners was reflected on the grade 2 that the department received on the last Ofsted inspection and our continually high success rates.
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Hold a relevant qualification (level 2 or above).
- Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
- Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
- Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
- Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
- Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
- The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3, - 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.
Hays Construction and Property