Graduate Analyst, Technology Management Consultancy
Posted on Dec 10, 2018 by Anonymous
£27,000 + Benefits
Hampshire (Relocatees encouraged)
I am recruiting for a specialist consultancy focused on commercial valuation and management of intellectual property. They work on a variety of projects within this area, including assessment and development of intellectual property portfolios, audit, due diligence, risk research, patent brokerage and valuation.
The client base of the consultancy is international and very varied, ranging from businesses on the FTSE 100 and the top of the NASDAQ to universities, specialist patent law firms, government agencies and small technology start-up businesses. Clients work in many industries, including telecommunications, software, biomedical technology, energy, electronics and digital entertainment. End clients of the consultancy have the common ground in that they all own or develop cutting edge technology, ownership of which is key to being able to licence or sell. The values of client portfolios of intellectual property is often incredible, and may include various patents, trademarks, designs, database rights, knowhow and trade-secrets. It will vary from client to client, but the consultancy will analyse the technical capabilities of patented technology and value or potential value to industry, enabling businesses to better do this in a strategic, planned way.
They are now looking to hire two analysts to join their team. Analysts take part in a key role in the core projects of the consultancy. The work varies, ie, you will work across multiple industries and with clients with very different personalities, cultural backgrounds and ways of working, so you need to be someone who learns quickly and is adaptable.
Although the work is not technical, you need to understand and be interested in technology and on a practical level be good at professionally researching, analysing, talking and writing about all things tech. To have the right grounding for the work I do need you to have a degree in a technical subject, including but not limited to computer science, physics, engineering and mathematics.
Although the management consultancy's clients place a high value on their patents and technology, for the consultancy itself, their people and their people's knowledge are their biggest asset. And you can't patent people! They place a huge value in having a close knit, highly skilled team of consultants and analysts who are well connected within their industries and knowledgeable specialists in field. They offer a dynamic and challenging work environment, supported by excellent training and development.
* Able to work independently as well as supporting consulting activity of senior consultants leading project team.
* Review of current patent documentation.
* Research of technology. Understanding the unique properties of the technology on a high level and able to grasp existing and potential applications of technology. Includes identification of competing technologies.
* Research of commercial potential of technology. Able to research and understand relevant markets, current and potential client bases, sales and accounting figures, licencing opportunity, commercial advantages and disadvantages (SWOT) and competitors.
* Identification of patents and technology that would make interesting acquisition opportunities.
* Qualitative analysis and critical thinking. Able to make and support recommendations given available evidence and where appropriate think outside the box.
* Quantitative analysis and critical thinking. Able to analyse large amounts of quantitative data and make recommendations based on data. Use of Excel, Visual Basic, Python and other applications and tools to manage and analyse data.
* Producing written reports and presentations incorporating data and visualisations where appropriate.
* Developing marketing collateral and valuation models for IP portfolios.
* Assisting clients in fully identifying and documenting their innovation with a view to ensuring it is fully protected.
* Keeping abreast with relevant latest technology and market developments.
* Attending and meaningfully contributing to meetings both internally and externally.
* Interested in technology, it's business application and commercial value.
* Motivated to achieve best result possible for both consultancy and their clients.
* 2.1 Bachelor's, merit Master's or PhD in a technical subject, including computer science, physics, an engineering course discipline, statistics or mathematics.
* Able to understand and competently assess complex technologies in a variety of fields.
* Thorough and methodical approach to research, data analysis and report writing.
* Independent, motivated and self-driven whilst also able to work collaboratively with client and project team.
* Excellent presentation and communication skills, verbal and written.
* Fluent English is mandatory, a second language could be a plus.
* Exposure or a relevant qualification within intellectual property is advantageous.
All analysts are also sponsored towards professional certification within their industry body, WIPO.
Interested? Please send me your CV and a covering letter explaining your interest in starting a career in management consultancy