Posted on Dec 14, 2018 by Anonymous
Working Hours: Monday - Friday. 9.00am - 5.00pm.
To act as a professional planning specialist/expert at a principal level, providing definitive professional advice for the Council, creating and applying best practice and delivering successful planning outcomes across the full range of planning disciplines within the Planning Division, these disciplines being: Development Management, Development Planning and Minerals & Waste Planning.
* Take responsibility for resolving highly complex strategic planning projects, planning applications and development consent orders, managing projects from conception to conclusion, including the supervision of planning and other staff in project teams.
* To lead the preparation of evidence and act for the Council as the expert planning witness in planning appeals including public inquiries, hearings, public examinations and high court proceedings.
* To lead and conclude negotiations on complex legal agreements which ensure the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with planning law, national and local planning policy, balance stakeholder and local community requirements and apply best practice.
* To judge competing priorities, lead negotiations with and give definitive advice to all stakeholders in the planning process including developers, professional agents, councillors, parish/town councils, service providers, other council officers, community organisations and members of the public on planning issues associated with highly complex development projects and proposals.
* To prepare reports and deliver presentations to councillors, senior officers, stakeholders and public meetings on planning issues associated with highly complex development projects and proposals.
* To develop, manage and maintain excellent working relationships with developers, professional agents, councillors, parish/town councils, service providers, other council officers, community organisations and members of the public and apply high levels of customer care practice towards maintaining those relationships.
* Ensure continued professional development in line with corporate and RTPI requirements, recognising gaps in personal skill/knowledge base and in consultation with line manager identify appropriate training and development necessary for retaining the expert level of skill and knowledge required within the role.
* Identify national best practice relevant theory and use this to recommend continuous improvement of internal procedures and to support a performance management culture that consistently drives up standards and delivers high quality, cost effective and efficient services.
* To supervise, monitor and guide the work of less senior officers and support officers on development projects to ensure delivery of team and project objectives and the development of individuals within the team.
* To take responsibility for personal performances and the performance of teams delivering development projects in accordance with divisional performance targets and Planning Performance Agreements.
* Degree or equivalent (recognised) town planning related qualification.
* CRB Disclosure required.
* Membership of Royal Town Planning Institute.
* Evidence of continuous professional development.
* Broad experience in most aspects of Development Management or LDF work.
* Experience of leading successful partnerships.
* Extensive experience of handling more complex planning projects including the negotiation of complex Section 106 Agreements.
* Extensive experience of being witness in complex planning hearings and/or inquiries.
* Commercial/business awareness.
* Experience in preparing technical reports relating to Development Manage or LDF work.
* Significant experience of planning in a local/unitary authority enviroment.
* Experience of supervising staff and project teams.
* Extensive up to date knowledge of statutory regulations, therory and best practice pertaining to Development Management the LDF and associated activities.
* Political awareness and ability to operate effectively in a political enviroment.
* Outcome focused approach to work.
* Customer focused.
* Influencing and negotiation skills.
* Commitment to evidence based decision making.
* Clear understanding and awareness of local and national policy on planning activities within local authorities.
* Excellent level of IT familiarity and skills.
* Sound project planning/management skills.
* Excellent report writing skills.
* Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
* Good mediation skills.
* Able to motivate and lead teams.
* Shows intiative and takes appropriate action.
* Demonstrates a commitment to supporting and fostering a team ethos
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases