NOC/Operations Manager - RAN/Radio
Posted on Jul 24, 2022 by Flint Consulting Limited
NOC/Operations Manager - RAN/Radio
My client, a global telecom operator is currently looking for an experienced NOC/Operations Manager with strong RAN/Radio background to join their team.
Reporting to the Head of Converged Voice and Data Operations and a member of the UK Extended Leadership Team, this role is accountable for the operation and technical support of the Mobile Access Radio Network. Providing Operational Support on a 24/7/365 for their many consumers
This is a critical leadership role with significant internal and external stakeholders and responsibility for the management of key relationships that include (but are not limited to) the group and regulatory bodies.
The role is also responsible for influencing the Planning, Design, and Management of my client's 2G, 3G, 4G & 5G radio network within the UK, driving forward solutions to enhance network coverage, performance and capacity solutions to improve service to the Customers
Key responsibilities & accountabilities
- Inspiring and empowering a team of 11 UK based specialist engineers
- Run and operate on a 24x7x365 basis (always on call), Maintaining network availability for customers, managing downtime or Customer Lost Hours as efficiently as possible while proactively supporting their customers with their network experience.
- Ensuring Mobile Access infrastructure and equipment meets the Service Quality expectations of my client's customers including availability, capacity, throughput and success rates. This includes Radio Access and Management tools
- Experience of resolving issues and tensions within the team, where they threaten operation and of upholding team decisions even when these conflict with own desired course of action.
- Developing and maintaining core team competencies which can support the designed and delivered services provided to the customer base.
- End-to-end service responsibility for the Mobile Access Radio Network, providing 24/7/365 on call 2nd line support to drive the resolution of live network issues to agreed SLA's, including engagement of vendor services where required. The team is supplemented by Vendor resources.
- Organise and motivate teams and suppliers to respond to major system problems or incidents, manage effective resolution or temporary expedient and drive through RCA (Root Cause Analysis) investigations.
- Take a lead role in the decision making process for how elements and services are implemented and maintained. Also provides operational consultancy to help shape the design, testing and the operation of new applications, products and services.
- Operational vendor management of key operational services.
- Manage the workload and priorities of the equipment Vendors ensuring customers' expectations are met.
- Continuous learning from network issues, driving improvements in either products or support processes to minimise the likelihood of repeat issues.
- Ensure that operational support is considered in a timely manner to proactively support the introduction of new Software, Hardware, or Design changes.
Essential skills, knowledge, or experience
- Technical knowledge - An in depth understanding of 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G RAN architecture, networks, signalling and protocols. A thorough understanding of software upgrade procedures and processes, experience of Field Operations, 1st and 2nd line O&M process and procedures.
- Customer focus - on a 24x7x365 basis, maintain a high-quality standard working under pressure for tight deadlines, dealing with evolving or changing targets and safeguarding operational stability of the network.
- Commercial acumen - a robust understanding of the business, financial management, regulatory environment and external influences to ensure effective strategic decision-making. Prudent and efficient management of OPEX budgets.
- Professional expertise - proven extensive experience of leading Radio networks as well as shaping and leading a current and constantly evolving technology agenda.
- You shall work collaboratively with counterparts within other Technical Support Teams - especially Radio GNOC, Field operations Radio Performance and Optimisation teams and other 2nd Line core teams
- You shall fully engage in the design/test phase of projects, whether focussed on Hardware Changes, Software Changes, or the enablement of new features/capabilities, ensuring that the team has both the tools and skills required to provide operational support through the introduction of new capabilities to the client's Network. You will be responsible for defining the operational requirements for the support of a design change within the early phase of a project life cycle.
- Communication skills - proven ability to influence, build relationships and collaborate effectively with others. Ability to convey complex solutions in layman's speak.
- You shall where appropriate support team development and future capability of operational test equipment including MyCOM PrOptima, Tektronix Inet/Iris, Empirix, TWAMP, Ascom TEMs and protocol analysers alongside Radio Vendor toolsets such as Nokia Traffica.
- You shall be responsible for Mobile Access operational governance. This includes acceptance/approvals of changes to supported platforms, and liaison with Problem Management and Change Management within the client's Service Management organisation.
- Key technology responsibilities are Nokia 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G; Ericsson 2G, 3G, 4G,5G; Nokia Femto (Boostbox);
- Prioritise the customer - engage customers by boosting an end-to-end digital experience and using data driven insights.
- Deliver ambitious results - leverage the scale of the group to deliver business results and create value in a fast-paced environment.
- Speed up and make it simple - create an agile environment where employees are empowered to make decisions and experiment.