Head of Design
Posted on Dec 16, 2018 by ESA Group
An exciting opportunity for a Head of Design to join an entrepreneurial, high growth health tech, e-commerce business where you will lead creative direction & inspires the organisation by showing what is possible before it is built. This role will take ownership of the creative vision and be at the forefront of shapingthe brand & innovative consumer products.
This role is best suited for a strategic & commercially minded Head of Design passionate about developing design strategies, based of insights & able to turn these insights into beautifully designed products & brands. Someone who agrees that that consistency and brand implementation are as important as creativity.
To be successful in this role, you will bring an experience building & scaling multi-skilled design functions, defining creative strategies and implementing them across digital experiences as well as online and offline marketing. Collaborative and inspiring you can showcase the value & impact of design throughout the business. You have a strong passion and strength in consumer, customer, market understanding and insights to develop creative and innovative solutions, interpret leading indicators and learn fast.
As the Head of Design your responsibilities will cover creative and brand strategies, with a strong focus on UX, customer engagement, communications, content and technical capabilities across multiple brands and products.
- Owner of the brand & product creative vision as well as visual identity
- Serve as the strategic and creative authority on aesthetic, tone, and messaging across all platforms, brands and channels
- Empower the business with visual identity toolkits to ensure consistency
- Establish the necessary design & visual identity frameworks internally
- Implement relevant visual identity changes across products & brand touchpoints
- Keep up with the latest discipline and platform innovations and trends
- Have the ability to identify new opportunities and emerging platforms that further drive the capability of existing and up and coming products and technologies
- Pitch concepts and solutions to internal and external stakeholders
- Champion of the brand & design across the business
- Define the overall creative strategy and vision to balance great short-term goals with a longer term
- Work with CX, UX, Product and creative counterparts to gather overall design objectives, needs and requirements.
- You'll partner closely with engineering, product, and marketing to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges.
- You'll provide the thought leadership to inspire and develop the right product & brand strategy.
- Oversee the design and evolution of our component design ecosystem and how that weaves into our overall approach to brand execution and implementation
- Define larger design strategies to ensure any and all designs and copy represents the brand well and look like they are in the same "family" of products.
- Owning the creation and evolution of the UI component design ecosystem based on our core digital brand and coordinating the development/updates to the relevant UI style guides and assets
- Confirm & inform your design instinct through user feedback whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test
- Collaborate with UX & CRO to validate designs on a regular basis
- Work with development teams to help ensure the best product is being produced
- Develop & follow UI design style guides and share best practiced about how digital brands are developed
- Collaborate with the Marketing team about brand and UI design/copy execution strategies
- Updating the Head of Marketing and Product Director and other related stakeholders about both day to day work and larger strategic pieces the UI team will be working on at regular intervals.
- Researching and presenting UI and Brand related innovations out in the industry for the team to consider
- Help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts
- Mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
- Be autonomous. You'll take full ownership your work, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Be passionate about telling brand stories and bringing digital products to life through engaging designs and creative strategy.
· Strong analytical, technical & design abilities
· Exceptional stakeholder management skills, especially for working with product and development teams
· Expert project management skills
· Excellent oral, verbal & written communication skills
- 10+ years UI design or digital visual design experience
- Shipped many consumer products
- Created consumer-oriented experiences
- Experience managing creative teams
- Experience designing user interface for both responsive web and at least one app platform (iOS or Android) or proven creative direction chops for at least two of these platforms
- Experience designing for e-commerce and complex app experience is required
Experience in brand creation, interpretation and implementation a big plus
- Skilled in design and prototyping tooling and ability to maximise their capacity for validated learning, collaboration and communication.
- Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator / InDesign
- Sketch / Marvel /Figma / InVision Studio
- Working knowledge of UX required; enough to question and challenge UX designers' recommendations, especially in relation to valid hypotheses and research backed solutions
- Design Degree or equivalent degree
- Proficiency in Google Analytics
- Proficiency in insight and marketer tools such as Qubit, Hotjar desirable
- Appreciation of developer tools and the relationship between design and development
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Resourceful - able to stretch money & people
- Data & ROI Driven
- Attention to detail
- Portfolio of designs to showcase your work will be required