Clerk to the Council
Posted on Dec 14, 2018 by SPL
Applications are invited for the position of Senior Executive Officer.
This is an interesting and varied posting, offering the chance to enable our team of Parish Councillors to deliver real benefits to the community.
As the Senior Executive Officer of the Council (formal title Clerk to the Council) you will be required to advise and assist in the formation of overall policies to be followed in respect of the Council's activities and in particular to produce information required for making effective decisions and to implement these constructively.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the effective management of the Council's resources and be responsible for the administration of its finances.
- To ensure that statutory and other provisions governing or affecting the running of the Council are observed.
- To monitor and balance the Council's accounts and prepare records for audit and VAT purposes, working with the Council's Finance Assistant.
- To ensure the Council's obligations for risk assessment and health and safety are met.
- To prepare, in consultation with appropriate members, agendas for meetings of the Council, Committees, and the Annual Parish Meeting and to attend the meetings and prepare minutes for approval.
- To manage correspondence and documents on behalf of the Council and to deal with any issues arising appropriately.
- To study reports and other data on activities of the Council. Where appropriate, to obtain specialist input and to produce reports for circulation and discussion by the Council.
- To prepare tenders for devolved statutory services, including guiding the members towards "best value for money" and participating in post tender negotiations.
- To use your own initiative (or as a result of suggestions by the Councillors) to draft proposals for consideration by the Council and to advise on likely effects on courses of action.
- To supervise other members of staff as their line manager in keeping with the policies of the Council.
- To monitor implemented policies of the Council to ensure they are achieving the desired result and where appropriate suggest modifications.
- To represent the Council when required.
- To prepare, in consultation with the Chair, press releases, flyers and items for social media.
- To attend training courses leading to the formal Qualified Clerk status and to attend seminars and conferences on the work and role of the Clerk as required by the Council.
Candidate requirements: -
- Ability to understand the legal framework in which the Parish Council operates.
- Good General Education including a formal qualification in Maths and English.
- Ability to create and maintain good morale, trust and confidence throughout the organisation.
- Able to demonstrate effective project management skills.
- Previous experience of working as a Town or Deputy Town or in a Parish Clerk role would be an advantage.
- Senior office management experience in a commercial or public sector role.
- CiLCA qualification OR a Certificate in Local Policy OR a commitment to obtain one of these.
- Practical experience of servicing committees, including agenda preparation, report writing and minute taking.
- Ability to give professional, supportive and constructive advice and information to Councillors and staff.
- Excellent IT skills including the ability to use a wide range of office software, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to ensure that the Council's Website is kept up to date and developed as required.
- Ability to enable the creation and application of budgets and accounts including the end of year audit process.
- Excellent Communication skills both written and oral.
- Confident and able to deal with a wide range of people and work under pressure.
- Ability to work evenings as part of the contracted hours.
- Preferably with current driving licence and a car owner.
Working hours are based upon 37 hours per week and time in lieu will be given for evening meetings or flexible working arrangements.
- 20 days holiday entitlement in addition to Bank Holidays.
- Free parking on site.
- Reimbursement of expenses against receipts.
- Work place pension.