Management Analyst III
Posted on Dec 9, 2018 by Fairfax County Government
Performs advanced level analytic and technical work in analysis, research and policy development for the Criminal Justice Academy. Monitors and analyzes countywide data to develop evidence-based recommendations to improve the quality and efficiency of operations and services at the Criminal Justice Academy. Creates, administers and corrects examinations for the Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) Criminal Justice Academy recruits. Reviews and communicates regularly with Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) personnel to ensure curriculum compliance with all DCJS standards and contemporary law enforcement practices. Enterprises, constructs and implements intensive long term research studies, utilizing self-reporting surveys and analysis to provide meaningful input to improve the performance, quality and compliance of Criminal Justice Academy Operations. Additionally, information gleaned from continuous analysis will provide valuable data to aid in the overall strategic planning of the Criminal Justice Academy training strategy. Acts as a liaison with the County's Office of Development and Training. Analyzes survey results and meets with appropriate personnel to provide guidance to managers regarding appropriate in service training for Departmental Personnel. Routinely reviews Departmental Data in ILEADS to ensure program quality and determine unmet needs to ensure efficacy of existing training programs. Writes, edits and finalizes reports and presentations and presents findings and recommendations to CJA and Department managers.
Functional areas include: Human Resources and Business Administration.
- Independently designs, develops, and coordinates ongoing department programs and special projects;
- Performs a wide range of professional-level management work for more than one broad administrative function including complex analysis and diverse project management in a lead capacity;
- Coordinates and manages the work of administrative, para-professional, and/or professional-level staff in the day-to-day activities of selected projects. Plans, organizes, and coordinates changes to the policies, procedures, or processes related to multiple administrative functions (financial, procurement, budget, human resources, contract or grants administration, information technology systems, etc.);
- Plans and conducts or oversees studies or research activities to ensure program quality, determine unmet needs or ensure efficacy of existing programs;
- Provides guidance, recommendations, and advice to departmental managers;
- Serves on committees, task forces, and management teams to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of existing management/administrative systems;
- Writes, edits, and finalizes reports and presentations and presents findings and recommendations to department senior managers.
- Considerable knowledge of mission, goals, and objectives of the organizational unit, program, or activities to which incumbent is assigned;
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques relating to the functional area of business operation (e.g. personnel, budgeting and financial management, contract administration and management);
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques governing management, organization, operations and programmatic services;
- Ability to identify possible solutions for solving business problems;
- Ability to evaluate proposals and solutions in terms of benefits, costs, and overall impact on the project, program, or organization;
- Ability to make oral presentations to department management, other departments, or the public;
- Ability to write detailed, accurate reports, grants, or solicitations for pertinent areas of administration;
- Ability to use word processing and presentation software to prepare documents, and to use spreadsheet and statistical analysis software packages to store, manipulate, analyze and present data;
- Ability to supervise and train staff;
- Ability to lead assigned employees, including delegating and reviewing work assignments, providing coaching and guidance, monitoring and evaluating performance, and supporting training and development planning.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in field related to the assigned functional area; plus four years of professional work experience with in the functional area.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, credit check, and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Five years of experience in Human Resources or Business Administration
Experience working in a law enforcement training environment;
Experience planning and coordinating testing in an Academy based training environment; Experience working for a law enforcement agency;
Experience working with the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services ( DCJS ) to ensure compliance with DCJS standards;
Experience working with staff to plan training rotations and testing in advance to meet regulatory and training requirements;
Experience administering and documenting testing in accordance with DCJS standards;
Experience in conducting student surveys to assist with monitoring the efficacy of the training environment.
Job is generally sedentary in nature; however, visual employee may be required to do some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items less than 15 pounds in weight. Acuity is required to read data on computer monitor, and incumbent must be able to operate keyboard driven equipment. Must communicate with others. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact for assistance. TTY . EEO/AA/TTY.