Posted on Dec 18, 2018 by Westside Community Services
TITLE: LVN/Psychiatric Technician
STATUS: Full-Time/Non-Exempt/37.5 hours per week
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT: Integrated Service Center
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Crisis Program Manager
SUMMARY OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Crisis Supervisor, the LVN/Psych Tech will perform detailed
initial assessments of eligible walk-in clients, present clinical information to the psychiatrist, manage front desk triage, and complete all required paperwork.
- Perform new client intakes; complete the clinical portion of the psychiatric assessment; complete all required forms requiring the client's signature/consent.
- For previously seen clients, update the chart as needed.
- Present current and background clinical information to the psychiatrist for medication evaluation. Facilitate appropriate referrals for clients needing follow-up.
- Evaluate risk factors; initiate a 5150 for hospitalization as needed.
- Administer medications/injections and TB tests as needed.
- Complete all required chart paperwork in compliance with the City & County policies; document services fully and accurately; submit a service authorization request to Central Access.
- Submit billing for all services performed on a daily basis using the appropriate billing codes.
- Prepare chart for opening as either a one-shot or 30-day case; place chart in proper location for billing specialist to retrieve.
- Complete paperwork to close your inactive 30-day cases.
- Perform front-desk triage function; log in clients as they present for services; obtain basic information to determine eligibility for crisis services.
- Facilitate client flow to intake staff and to the psychiatrist.
- Monitor waiting room to assist with client needs, answer questions, manage agitated/inappropriate behavior, and monitor clients on 5150 hold.
- Handle phone triage calls to assist clients seeking services; address clinical questions from outside providers and for other miscellaneous purposes.
- Attend weekly individual supervision and staff meeting.
- Work cooperatively with ACT/Outpatient staff and clients.
- Adhere to all Westside Policies and Procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager, Medical Director or Mental Health Director.
- Must be licensed in the State of California as an LVN or LPT.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience working directly with chronically mentally ill individuals preferred.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, very busy work environment.
- Basic skills to work with individuals who are unstable due to acute psychiatric symptoms, drug use/addiction, and/or trauma.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural environment.
- Good communication skills.
- Basic computer knowledge and skill.
- Bilingual capability preferred.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday Variable Hours
Occasional Saturdays, Evenings, Holiday Shifts
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: E-mail:
Mail Resume to
Westside Community Services
Human Resources Department
1153 Oak Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
We will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with therequirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Westside Community Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of Color and/or
Bilingual are Encouraged to Apply.
As one of the first community-based mental health agencies in the country, Westside Community Services has been rebuilding lives and restoring families for 50 years.
Westside Community Services is dedicated to improving the psychological, spiritual and physical health of our community residents. Our clients represent a diverse range of individuals and families facing emotional crises; overwhelming life circumstances; and those experiencing severe and debilitating mental health challenges. As a wellness and recovery oriented agency our goal is to provide services based on the needs of our community that have been defined by our community. We are an agency that was created by the local community for the community.