Senior Java Engineer
Posted on Jul 21, 2022 by Zellis
About the role
To work as part of the ResourceLink WebView development Team, working closely with QA Engineering and Product Strategy & Planning team. The product is written in Java and Angular.
The main responsibility is the ownership & maintenance of two Java Based products FBI and SmartPAYE, used to exchange information between our main HR & Payroll system ResourceLink and the UK & ROI Revenue respectively
A secondary responsibility is to assist with the development & maintenance of the WebView product.
The team are responsible for producing developments and bug fixes. Additionally, there may be the occasional requirement for the individual to work on projects for the ResourceLink Bespoke team.
Role Accountabilities and responsibilities
- To work closely with the Product Strategy & Planning team, in analysing the requirements for future developments.
- Be involved in walkthroughs by the Product Strategy & Planning team of these requirements.
- Provide estimates for delivery and then designde solutions based on the requirements ensuring the Agile delivery methodology is maintained.
- Regular updates with team lead/subject expert to ensure the design/solution is on the track.
- To present the designs back to the Product Strategy & Planning team (plus QA and Support representatives) on an ongoing basis (Daily stand up) to ensure that all aspects of the requirements have been incorporated.
- To develop and unit test quality software. This could involve developing from your own designs or working as part of a team developing from designs that may have been produced by other developers.
- As a development owner, perform a thorough unit test to ensure that all components perform as expected.
- To ensure that a completed solution meets all aspects of the design and original requirements. Plus meets all development standards and is fit for QA.
- To support the QA team during the QA phase.
- To provide demonstrations and training on developed software to all relevant parties as necessary.
- Ensure Version Control & branching procedures are maintained.
- Resolve bugs and ensure correct procedures are maintained for testing and delivery.
- Ensure strict procedures are followed when accessing customer systems.
- To provide 2 nd line support.
- At least 5 years experience of Java 8 or later
- A background in Web-based application development using Spring Boot, GlassFish or similar
- Experience of cloud deployment technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience of developing and integrating complex services
- Experience of Agile Development Process
- Relational database experience, preferably Oracle and/or MS SQL Server
Desired but not essential
- Understanding of web security concepts
- Build and release pipeline development and maintenance, ideally using Azure DevOps and Azure CLI
- A passion and eagerness to self-teach new tools and technologies
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills using modern cloud technologies
- Solid experience in communicating and presenting complex information to technical and non-technical stakeholders, both verbally and in written form
- Solid written and spoken English skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow and suggest improvements to procedures
- Agile approach to problem solving
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workloads as necessary
This is an excellent opportunity for an Engineer to work within a supportive environment. As such you will have an invested career within software development as well as be passionate about technology and continually learning. In addition, you will have deep understanding of software engineering practices and technical excellence.
Zellis is the leading provider of payroll and HR solutions for the UK and Ireland.
Together with Benefex and Moorepay, we form the Zellis Group, serving a vast array of companies across every vertical and industry.
Our purpose is to make people feel appreciated for the work they do - through precision, choice, and magic.
We have over 50 years of heritage and industry experience - and we ve been ahead of the curve throughout. More than half a century ago, we were founded as Peterborough Data Processing. Quite a lot has changed since then - not least our name.
We were acquired by Northgate, becoming NorthgateArinso in 2007 and NGA Human Resources UK and Ireland in 2014, where we were joined by Moorepay. In 2018, the UK and Ireland division was sold to Bain Capital and now we operate as a standalone company.
After acquiring Benefex, we re now even better equipped to serve the complex needs of our customers.
Our vision is to be the clear leader in pay, reward, analytics, and people experiences. There s nothing more important to us than building trusting and beneficial relationships with our customers, using our size, scale, and breadth of experience to offer tailored solutions that precisely meet their business needs.
We design solutions that keep our customers ahead of change as they navigate the regulatory complexity and workforce uncertainty which exists in today s business landscape. At the heart of everything we do are our highly qualified payroll and HR experts, who are committed to delivering first-class customer service at all times.
We re proud of our culture
At Zellis we work hard to create a culture where people want to join, belong to, and be part of a progressive organisation. We re committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of the customers we serve and the communities we operate in.
Our values, which were defined with input from all of our 2,000 colleagues, are not empty words on a poster. They reflect who we are, and how we operate as a business.