Senior Database Engineer - Barcelona
Posted on Jul 18, 2022 by PSD Technology Contracts Ltd.
About the Client
An exciting opportunity to work with a global leader in aviation technology.
About the Role
My client is looking to hire a Senior DBA on a contract basis until the end of 2022, with a view to extend for 2023.
As a Senior Database Administrator, you have the responsibility of administrating, monitoring, and troubleshooting a 24x7 production environment's database Servers and associated infrastructure. This role is with other team members to ensure 100% uptime, plan future capacity requirements, maintain security, and apply updates.
You will also solve exciting technical challenges by analysing, troubleshooting, and designing vital services, platforms, and infrastructure while always thinking about reliability, scalability, resilience, security, and performance.
- Serve as SME (subject matter expert) for PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and other database technologies.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities regarding the upkeep and availability of all Postgres database Servers in the environment including lower environments
- Strong and demonstrable experience as DBA in large-scale PostgreSQL environments
- Responsible for database backup and restore functions including scheduled tests of DR availability, including knowledge of PostgreSQL restoration and availability technologies such as Clustering, Replication, Always-On, etc.
- Ensure all database Servers are managed to Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) and Recovery Time Objectives (RTO).
- Participates in SQL code reviews for the application teams to enforce SQL coding standards
- Builds and reports on SQL environment performance and availability metrics and takes appropriate actions to implement best practices and optimize performance.
- Assist in the technical analysis and design for current and future projects.
What we are looking for
- Hands-on expertise managing high-volume instances of PostgreSQL Databases
- Demonstration and Knowledge of working in a Database infrastructure administration with Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and resolve issues quickly
- Developed and established policies and procedures related to data security and integrity; monitor and limit database access as needed.
- Expert in Documenting the company's database environment.
- Experience in writing automation scripts and building application dashboards for proactive monitoring and alerting.
- Experience with database storage engines and master-slave replication principles and practices.
- Experience as Linux systems administrator (eg CentOS, RedHat) and command-line system administration such as Bash, VIM, and SSH.
- Experience with CI/CD in cloud environments and container technology, Docker and Kubernetes, Docker Swarm
- Good communicator and coordination skills and able to work efficiently under pressure.
Candidates must be able to work 2-3 days in the office in Barcelona