Project Engineer, Product Compliance Engineering
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 by Rockwell Automation
Individual Contributor - responsible for supporting and creating development and implementation of enterprise-wide programs and processes to support company Product Compliance initiatives.
The Product Compliance Project Engineer defines programs and leads global projects to address product standards, certifications, and regulations including those required for electrical safety, management of hazardous substances in products, EMC performance, energy efficiency of products, and end-of-life responsibilities.
The Project Engineer is also responsible for working with New Product Introduction processes - both as the lead Compliance Engineer as well as a Subject Matter Expert to support other team members - to ensure that new Rockwell Automation products meet relevant product regulations and certification requirements.
- Ensures completion of product development compliance deliverables for products of critical importance to the organization. This includes compliance assessment, design review, certification and test plan creation, documentation, and process implementation for new product development introductions.
- May serve as the primary product compliance interface with domestic and third-party safety agencies (such as UL, CSA, FM, TUV, etc.).
- Leads cross-functional projects of medium- to large-scale to enact changes to products and processes to ensure compliance to new or changed product environmental regulations and safety certification requirements.
- Works with Global Product Standards & Regulations organization to monitor and analyze regulatory trends and positions and shares information with impacted business groups.
- Works with Strategic Sourcing and Rockwell Automation suppliers to ensure that the supply chain is positioned and responsive to support RA compliance programs.
- Supports external customers by addressing requirements for product compliance information.
- Leads strategy development, business process development, and critical issue closure across technical disciplines for local organizational functions
- Leads and participates in project teams consisting of cross-functional personnel to address product design issues related to environmental regulations and safety certifications.
- May represent Rockwell Automation in external organizations including standards development committees and cross-company teams.
- May supervise other team members, contractors, interns and third party consultants in daily and project activities.
- Responsible for influencing business groups across the organization to incorporate regulatory and certification requirements into product designs for both legacy and new products.
- Gives presentations to share information and obtain support for compliance programs.
- Builds strong relationships and partnerships across the company to leverage ideas, capabilities, and processes. Unifying internal constituents around a common vision and goals, and teaming with others for enhanced outcomes.
- Responsible for the plan, budget and schedule for projects which are of significant and strategic importance to the corporation.
- Monitors and understands complex regulatory and market drivers and their ability to affect product lines. Works with business partners to assess risk and strategy for ensuring compliance of RA products.
- Manages aggressive objectives in context of higher-level business goals / constraints.
- Presents strategies to stakeholders and decision-makers to secure support for programs as necessary.
- Comprehends the needs and requirements of customers or business partners in order to bring strategic value to them. Promoting regulatory compliance and customer needs as the key drivers for business goals and initiatives.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Willing to travel up to 25% (including international) for promotion and implementation of various initiatives and programs.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial or Computer Engineering or related technical field.
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience.
- Knowledge in the application of basic engineering and manufacturing principles, theories, and techniques.
- Typically requires 8+ years' experience in Manufacturing/Development Engineering Organization, preferably in an electronics manufacturing organization.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through all levels in the organization. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are required in addition to presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to frame and manage effectively, and with high quality, a large quantity of ambiguous or complex work.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Experience in project management techniques and processes. LSS and/or PMP certification is a plus.
- Previous experience with product standards, certifications, conformance agencies, or environmental regulations is strongly preferred.
- Experience in new product development, including utilizing the Rockwell Automation Common Product Development (CPD) Process as well as knowledge of SAP, is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to influence stakeholders and drive change management projects is preferred.
- Further education in engineering, business administration, operations or project management is a plus.
- Familiarity with Rockwell Automation products is a plus.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Operations & Engineering Services
No. of Positions:
Mequon - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley(R) and Rockwell Software(R) product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.