Instructor, Medical Assisting
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by Guilford Technical Community College
Job Description Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, developing curriculum courses, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction and for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college. The full-time Medical Assisting faculty member participates in the planning, implementation, evaluation, and revision of the program curriculum. This individual may also be assigned the responsibility of coordinating the efforts of a designated instructional team.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
• developing learner centered lesson plans
• employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
• incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
• creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
• preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate
• updating and revising curriculum to maintain currency
• developing new courses as needed to support the instructional mission
• participating in the development and review of course and program/general education outcomes as appropriate
• developing, conducting and documenting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses and programs/general education as appropriate Professional Development
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
• participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
• participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies Administration
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records to include:
• maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
• providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials and maintaining safe working conditions
• maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
• complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and regulations Student Support
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
• conducting recruiting activities
• providing academic advising
• promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
• assisting students with the registration and graduation process
• referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate College Service
Support college-wide endeavors to include:
• collaboration with faculty and staff from other divisions/departments to promote communication, coordinate schedules
and support student success
• serving on department, division and college committees
• participating in GTCC institutional initiatives
• collaborating with educational partners, business/industry and/or external agencies as appropriate to promote the instructional mission of GTCC
• supporting collegiality and teaching excellence by actively participating in the professional development of new and veteran faculty (e.g., mentoring and peer observation)
• participating in extracurricular student activities/clubs
• attending college professional development sessions, college/division/department meetings, graduation and convocation,
• Demonstrate and model the College's employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork. Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintain student records.
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education Required • Bachelor's Degree in science or a health related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution
• Current Medical Assisting Certification from an organization whose credentialing exam is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) or the American National Standards Institute (ANS), e.g. the Certified Medial Assistant (CMA) credential through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
• Evidence of courses/content in educational theory and techniques
Education Preferred • Master's Degree in science or a health related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution
Experience Required • Two years of relevant experience in a healthcare facility, including a minimum of 160 hours in an ambulatory healthcare setting performing or observing administrative and clinical procedures as performed by medical assistants.
• Experience teaching courses, training sessions, conducting professional development and/or other continuing education offerings
Experience Preferred • Greater than two years of relevant experience in a healthcare facility, including a minimum of 160 hours in an ambulatory healthcare setting performing or observing administrative and clinical procedures as performed by medical assistants.
• Post-secondary teaching experience
• Experience with assessment of student learning and/or student learning outcomes.
• Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery
KSA Required The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its "open door" policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Ability to effectively implement and apply technology solutions.
Department/Job Specific Requirements Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire and annual updates as required, other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
3. Shooter on Campus
4. Ethics and Social Responsibility
5. elearning Level One (before the first day of the first semester teaching)
6. eLearning Level Two for those who teach online or hybrid delivery methods (before the first day of the first semester teaching) Department Trainings/Requirements:
1. Bloodborne pathogens/personal protective equipment training (yearly)
2. Automatic electronic defibrillator/CPR certification (renewal every 2 years)
3. Documented immunity to Hepatitis B with positive titer and other immunizations (if required by affiliated clinical agencies)
Physical Demands 1. Physical Requirements
a. Hear and see
b. Stand extended periods of time (up to 4 hours)
c. Stoop, bend, squat, lift, reach overhead
d. Lift, push, or pull 10 lbs.
2. Work hours may include day, evening, weekend responsibilities
3. Travel may be involved Other:
This individual will work with an assigned mentor during the probationary period of employment to incorporate GTCC's Employability Skills into all classes using a Problem-Based Learning approach.
Posting Type Faculty
Category: Education , Keywords: Medical Assisting Instructor