Sr Project Engineer
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by Rockwell Automation
Architect, Functional Safety
Responsible for technical leadership and development of functional safety technologies and standards for use in Rockwell Automation products. These core product lines might involve Programmable Automation, Communications, I/O systems or Industrial Automation Software. These are industry-leading industrial automation products that have won numerous awards.
In this position, you will define, design and develop new features and platforms, participating in the full development lifecycle. Development is performed in a team environment utilizing sound engineering and software development practices and technology, and typically involves highly complex system design or product architecture design. Responsibilities include collaborating with and influencing multiple cross-functional teams, as well as possible technical leadership of a large development team or leading technical aspects of a multi-team project.
- Participates with technology management, product marketing and development engineering to establish project objectives and requirements related to functional safety. Evaluates Technology solutions. Provides cost/benefit recommendations.
- Contributes to or develops architectural designs and independently develops complex system designs that meet the requirements. Provides skills needs and time estimation for the design. Considers tradeoffs between requirements, speed, cost and reliability in the choice of a design approach.
- Does advance work, including requirements, on a feature before a development team is in place. This may include prototyping new solutions or advanced designs.
- Maintain technical expertise in field. Keep current through contacts with educational institutions, professional societies, and technical publications. Maintain awareness of applicable new technologies, processes, and competitive trends. Researches, considers, and explores new possibilities utilizing the latest technologies and standards.
- Promote and coordinate, technical activities with standards organizations, consortia, government agencies, leading universities and other Rockwell organizations.
- Functions as a go-to person for functional safety expertise. Consults across multiple teams. Provide technical consulting to business units and product teams. Assist as requested with problem resolution, product design reviews, and technical strategy analysis and development. Significantly contribute to the development and implementation of the product strategic direction in functional safety.
- Function as a technical lead of a large development team or lead technical aspects of a multi-team project.
- Clearly communicates and conveys design concepts, both verbally and written. Also able to learn and understand complex control system concepts.
- Effectively teams with others through mutually supportive professional relationships, open and direct communications, honesty and respect. Able to cope with and leverage stylistic differences and differences of opinion.
- Conduct tasks in accordance with applicable health, safety, quality and environmental regulations (state/federal laws, ISO 9001, ISO 14000, etc.) as well as Rockwell Automation policies and procedures.
EOE, M/F/Disabled, Vet
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Mayfield Heights - Ohio, Milwaukee - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley(R) and Rockwell Software(R) product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.