Controls Engineer (Hardware Design Focus - Material Handling Systems)
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by Affinity Executive Search
Exercise your mind and your body with a company that offers...
* challenging work assignments
* an onsite fitness center
* tuition reimbursement
* competitive pay/benefits
* many career development and team-building opportunities
* philanthropic activities
As a Controls Engineer, you will design controls systems including hardware design, software design, network configurations, power distribution, and the selection of field devices for a variety of manufacturing processes, including material handling and parcel handling systems. PLC programming is not involved in this role.
* Understand the basics of mechanical systems and manufacturing processes for which control systems will be designed.
* Provide feedback on mechanical designs where necessary for control considerations.
* Participatein overall engineering of system designs, system flow schematics, general layouts and detailed sequence of operations.
* Understandand be familiar with client specifications and electrical code/standards.
* Coordinate with project teams and clientsto prepare projectspecifications and scopeof work for controls design and system installation.
* Specifyand design power distribution systems, including substations, bus duct and power distribution panels.
* Specifyand design power distribution to and within production and processequipment. Perform calculations anddesigns relative to demand and diversity factors, bus loading, voltage drops, circuitprotection and coordination, feed sizing, distribution equipment sizing, etc.
* Specifyand design control panels, motor control centers and motor control panels. This includes selection of control panel components including circuit breakers, power supplies, motor starters, VFDs, relays, etc.
* Specify field devices for controls systems. This includes the selection of the devices and the interface of them in the overall system design.
* Design installation drawings including cable tray and conduit layouts, field interconnect diagrams and bill of materials.
* Specify equipment and interface for stand-alone control systems such as AVI readers, including both bar code readers and RF systems.
* Participate in engineering of material handling applications including speed matching, position synchronization, product tracking, transfer systems, etc.
* Specify and design PLC control systems. This includes selection of hardware components including type of PLCs, I/O modules, communication cards, interface modules, etc.
* Specifyoperator interface requirements, HMI components and related programming software.
* Schematic design of PLC network systems for communication and control. This would also include PLC to PLC and PLC to I/O communications.
* Schematic design of upper level production support systems.
* Specifyand design lighting systems for industrial production applications.
* Specifyand design control and power distribution system installation work, provide budget estimate input for control systems and related installation work.
* Provideproject scheduling input for control systems implementation. Review project schedules and identify the engineering, design and CAD resources trades to completethe projects.
* Review and approve of fabrication drawings for controls systems including control panels, MCCs (Motor Control Centers), field devices and production equipment prior to shipmentto site.
* Review and approve fabrication of controls systems including control panels, MCCs, and production equipment prior to shipmentto site. This includes visiting fabricators of equipment being provided. This will include traveling to the vendors.
* Participatein review of the installation of the systems being installed. This review will include the mechanical systems, as well and the electrical installation. This will include traveling to the project job sites.
* Participate in the system commissioning, including initial system checks, inspection of wiring, powering up of the equipment, start-up, debug, balancing and testing, and finally provide punch-listing of the installation.
* Review and approve system as-built drawings.
* Performfield checking of existing equipment, sites, and facilities.
* EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:Bachelors Degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited universitywith at least 5 years of related work experience.
* Proficient in material handling and conveyorcontrols, hardware and software design and engineering.
* Previous Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI),product routing and tracking, Quality Audit Systems (QAS) and Plant Floor Monitoring Systems (PFMS) experiencepreferred.
* Previous experience with PLCs (e.g., Allen BradleyControl Logix family, Siemens S series), HMIs and networks (Profibus,Ethernet, DeviceNet, etc.), and related software packages.
* Proficient in AutoCAD and MS Office.
* Good verbal and written communication skills
* Must be able to travel and accept field assignments (outside of the Detroit area) to promote project success (however the travel is very little!).
Affinity Executive Search
The DAKO Group
Foot Locker Inc.
Affinity Executive Search