General Manager, Tool Steel
Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by Affinity Executive Search
My client is a key supplier of tool steels for plastic molds, die cast dies, and other tooling applications for many large tool and machine shops, as well as global OEMs in the automotive, aerospace and consumer industries. Due to evolving needs of their company they have immediate need for a General Manager. In their Sterling Heights, MI location. (RELOCATION IS AN OPTION). Applicants must have a strong background in business management ideally with both sales and operations experience. KNOWLEDGE OF AND EXPERIENCE WITH TOOL STEEL REQUIRED. This exempt position will report directly to the President.
* Lead and manage all aspects of the company, including but not limited to sales and business development, operations, safety, material procurement, quality and logistics.
* Provide strategic and tactical sales leadership to increase the companysmarket share, sales, and profit and achieve business plan targets.
* Develop and lead the safety culture at the companyby using existing corporateprograms and philosophies. Key activities include: growing the Behavior Based Safety Program, holding employees and contractors accountable to corporatesafety policies, supporting new safety initiatives, tracking safety metrics, and coordinating safety meetings.
* Develop a world-class team. Hire, train, develop, and evaluate employees.
* Ensure orders are processed according to customer specifications and that quality requirements are met.
* Schedule and adhere to customer delivery dates.
* Establish and improve operation standards for safety, accuracy, quality, on-time delivery (OTD), cost controls, waste reductions, and 5S programs.
* Develop process improvements and corrective actions as necessary.
* Manage budgets and control expenses.
* Maintain ongoing dialog with all employees regarding safety, productivity, performance, company goals, events, and policies. Champion the companys mission, values, and policies. Maintain employee engagement.
* Resolves disputes and discipline as necessary.
* 4-year bachelors degree or greater; engineering or business management degree preferred.
* 6+ years of manufacturing experience in the tool steel industry with at least 3 years managing people.
* Demonstration of technical interests, skills, and abilities.
* Sales and operations experience.
* Knowledge of and experience with tool steel required.
* Strong communication, math, and problem-solving skills.
* Strong computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ERP systems and reports.
* Ability to develop relationships with vendors, contractors, and customers.